Where can I buy ISO 14001 - The Electronic Version

R

rbuckels

ISO14001 Request

I need the English edition of ISO14001, does anyone have the electronic edition?

Randy

Super Moderator
Time out!

Your 1st post, you don't even bother to introduce yourself, and you ask for a free copy of a copywrited document?

Your profile states that you're an internal assessor. Why doesn't your employer give you a copy of the standard? As far as I can tell you might be someone who's trying to trip up someone by violating copywrite issues.

If you want to know about internal auditing or the standard on the cheap read thru the threads in this forum, you'll not find a better source on the Net.

Ask questions and you'll get answers. As for the other, most likely not a chance.

D

db

Well, I'll at least say Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

Don't let Randy scare you. He may be as smooth as alligator skinn, but his disposition matches. And, he is usually right.

ISO 14001 is a copyrighted document. It is available for purchase from a variety of sources. Here in the US, the ASQ is a good source.

If you want a free copy, here are a couple of suggestions. First, sometimes you can talk your registrar into giving you a copy. Second, there is a thing called the Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP). In MS, you can contact the Mississippi Technology Alliance. Their website is: https://www.technologyalliance.ms

I'm not saying they will, or can get you a copy, but you don't know unless you try.

Hope that helps.

R

rbuckels

ISO14001 Request

Hey guys. I know ISO14001 is copyrighted, and I have several hardcopies supplied by our company. What I was looking for was the electronic version that I could insert into a .pdf file with my other standards in order to do text searches. I have tried scanning my hardcopy with various OCR software, but it is a slow cumbersome process. I have an audit next week, just trying to save time.

Assuming (I may be wrong here. I am not a lawyer) that it is not a violation of copyright law to print out a hardcopy from a pdf file for personal use, then would it be a violaton to change the medium from hard to electronic or posess the electronic version if you already have the hard copy?

Randy

Super Moderator
Yeah, but it is against the law to pass on copywrited material to another person who hasn't paid for the right to use it. The term is "personal use". You're talking just a few bucks to purchase an electronic copy from ASQ or somebody.

BTW, it's just kind of a courtesy that's used around here to say "Hi, I'm such and so and Here's where I'm at and here's what I do, and all that kinda stuff" and then we here in the Cove say "Hi, welcome, nice to meet ya and all that stuff" :bigwave:

Apparently a copy of 14K isn't the only thing you appear to be short of.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
If you buy an electronic copy it will be a pdf. I haven't seen a version for sale which is in .doc or .txt format.

What I did some time back was sat down with my printed copy of the standard and typed the standard into a text file because I'm the same - I want a searchable document. It doesn't take very long to do.

You received a 'cool' reception as there were problems in the past - including threats of lawsuits - over ISO documents that were at one time posted here. We're just trying to stay out of trouble. I hope you understand.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
rbuckels said:
Assuming (I may be wrong here. I am not a lawyer) that it is not a violation of copyright law to print out a hardcopy from a pdf file for personal use, then would it be a violaton to change the medium from hard to electronic or posess the electronic version if you already have the hard copy?
I don't know the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, which might apply, so I can't really say. As I explained, I typed in my copy and that was it. I take it in the same vein as copying a song to a CD so I can take it in the car to listen to and not destroy the original (sun, heat, etc.)

I would be surprised if there would be a complaint (as if anyone would know anyway) if you typed in the text from a copy you paid for.

I haven't used OCR software in several years. If it's still as much of a pain as it was, it's not (to me) worth using.

Randy

Super Moderator
Marc, you're just as krusty as I am :vfunny:

p.s. I only got about 3 hours last night (yawnnnnnnnnn!)

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Marc's use of hard typing from a purchased copy of the document certainly seems "fair use." [a legal term in copyright law.]

I absolutely agree the "workman worthy of hire is worthy of pay." Standards may seem expensive, but if you consider the effort that goes into creation, maintenance, and frequent revisions, the price is free compared to what it costs to duplicate the content with independent research.

Frequently, the electronic (pdf) copies of Standards are "password locked" to prevent copying or printing out the document. Often, though, corporations can buy multiple licenses and get the password for printing or copying.

Thus said, Buckles can go to ISO direct in Switzerland (via the internet https://www.iso.ch) and order an electronic pdf version for 71 Swiss Francs [ASQ only offers the hard copy in paperback.] Be sure to order English version! The download is about 4.2 meg.

In ISO's search engine, type in "ISO 14001:1996"
Any problem, send me an email and I'll give you the direct url to the ISO store and correct catalog page.

For the hypersensitive Kops out there - I never imagined Buckles was really expecting a free or pirate copy from the text of his initial message - what did he write that made you think he was? I just interpreted his request as from another overworked soul worried he's in over his head, who didn't think about the ramifications of his request.

P.S. Buckles - it's not good form to use hotmail addresses for business purposes and no one in the world needs ISO 14000 for personal purposes.

Top Bottom