Where should job descriptions be housed (located)?

F

filebase - 2007

Hey guys,

Just trying to work out where job descriptions should be housed. do many people have actual 'personnel' files?

any help much appreciated

Ben

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: job descriptions- where do they go?

Yes, we have job descriptions along with the other hiring process records for employees. That has been enough to satisfy auditors, though one wanted to see a set of descriptions--we pushed back, maintaining that specific descriptions for jobs to be filled was the right approach for us.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
here, job descriptions are an HR controlled record. At my last division, I controlled the job descriptions. It doesn't matter so much where, as is the responsibility defined and understood, keeping in mind the competency and awareness requirements.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
If you're talking about physical location it depends on your system.

Job descriptions in my system are kept in the document control system on the computer network like any other document.

Until we implemented the "paperless" system the controlled copies were kept in HR.

Q

QualityNo1

I agree, my company kepps the job descriptions in with the Dept; together with competencies and selection criteria.
Job Descriptions are generic and in hard copy however, we will soon move to paperless and have them available through the intranet for all to see.

MarilynJ6354

Involved In Discussions
Our job descriptions are housed on our parent company site; however, I have found that they are not kept up to date and they are definitely not controlled like our QMS documentation. Since they are not part of our quality system, should we have separate ones in the QMS?

R

ralphsulser

Our job descriptions are kept, and maintained by the Human Resources department, in their master computer files.

MarilynJ6354

Involved In Discussions
What I need to know is do they have to be controlled as part of the QMS? We cannot edit our job descriptions and right now they are not accurate. It is my understanding that there is no requirement for job descriptions. You are required to do two related tasks: define responsibility and authority and define competency in terms of education, experience, skills and training. Job descriptions are one way of accomplishing this but does this mean a training record would be sufficient?

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
What I need to know is do they have to be controlled as part of the QMS? We cannot edit our job descriptions and right now they are not accurate. It is my understanding that there is no requirement for job descriptions. You are required to do two related tasks: define responsibility and authority and define competency in terms of education, experience, skills and training. Job descriptions are one way of accomplishing this but does this mean a training record would be sufficient?

Hi Marilyn,

Our job descriptions are controlled and are part of our QMS documentation. Original hard copies are kept by our document control clerk, who also stores them electronically in a secure location on our company intranet.

(Oh yeah, we are dual-registered to ISO 9001 and 13485.)

Hope this helps. :bigwave:

Q

qualitychic

Our job descriptions are controlled by HR department. And, our HR department keeps personnel files which include a signed copy of job decription on each of the personnel files in addition to other personnel records.

Top Bottom