Who owns your Competence, Awareness and Training process?

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
ISO-9001 requires that companies address CA&T, but I'm wondering what group within your organizations past or present actually owns that process? Is it your HR team? Operations? Or do you have a separate Training group who owns it?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
The process owner will know the process. That person may work for HR or some other department. So, base your selection on the person best able to own and improve the process to better serve its internal customers.

Don’t forget to include recruiting the right people (as in having the natural talents you seek) in the first place. That way you avoid wasting your training budget on trying to make the wrong people competent.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Current company: Plant Manager
Prior company: Nobody, but have the quality guy make some paperwork.

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
The process owner will know the process. That person may work for HR or some other department. So, base your selection on the person best able to own and improve the process to better serve its internal customers.

Don’t forget to include recruiting the right people (as in having the natural talents you seek) in the first place. That way you avoid wasting your training budget on trying to make the wrong people competent.

Thanks - unfortunately they hired me to get them in tune with ISO-9001 I'm afraid that I'm going to own every process that I bring up for improvement.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks - unfortunately they hired me to get them in tune with ISO-9001 I'm afraid that I'm going to own every process that I bring up for improvement.

To be “in tune” with ISO 9001 your process owners also need to competent. So, you may want to define the competencies required of the person accountable for the effectiveness of the recruiting and training process.

Start by asking top management to define their objectives for this process and you’ll soon be able to see if its ownership should be part of your job or someone better.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I don't know that this is a "process" that has an individual "owner." It seems to me the department managers/supervisors are the major drivers. Assuming we evaluate competence, awareness and training needs based on some type of review system, the manager/supervisor closest to the employee would be the one.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
My experience has been that the body which has the overarching responsibility to develop training forms, retain records, oversee the performance review system, etc. is often the Process Owner of Competence, Awareness, and Training.

That said, everyone else is responsible for following it, adhering to it, and conforming to it...and they may even have input into making it a better system in the future.

I've never been part of an organization with a Training team. Each group has been essentially responsible following the Training process (owned by HR) and providing the training that will hopefully lead to competent employees.

cferrer

Involved In Discussions
Competence Management or Competence Assurance is definately a multidisciplinary process, which requires the participation of the Team Leaders, Managers or head of departments. I dont have much hard data on this but it seems that it tends to reside under the general umbrella of HR and the process owner is normally someone from HR. However, I think this role could very well taken on by the quality manager or the knowledge manager or the operations manager or the general manager or anyone who makes sense for the given organization.

Thee Bouyyy

Multiple Personalities
Competence Management or Competence Assurance is definately a multidisciplinary process, which requires the participation of the Team Leaders, Managers or head of departments. I dont have much hard data on this but it seems that it tends to reside under the general umbrella of HR and the process owner is normally someone from HR. However, I think this role could very well taken on by the quality manager or the knowledge manager or the operations manager or the general manager or anyone who makes sense for the given organization.

I prefer someone who is qualified for the job. Whether it's from the HR department, the QAQC department, the store department, the production department, or top management. On papers, the final sign would come from HR.

cferrer

Involved In Discussions
.... yes, of course. The appointed process owner must be qualified. He/she must sort of eat his/her own dog food (i.e. ensure competence within the competence management process through the competence assurance practices. How about that for a chicken-or-egg question to reflect upon ;)).

Top Bottom