Work Instructions - Processes - Does all machinery need to have work instructions?

R

rharold

Does all machinery need to have work instructions? Only some of our equipment has work instructions right now and I'm not sure if the rest needs to have them also.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Work Instructions - Processes - Does all machinery need to have work instructions

It's up to you what needs work instructions and what does not.

I don't unless I have found it to be a problem area that needs control.

Don't document yourself into a corner... because if you document it you better follow it.

J

JRKH

Re: Work Instructions - Processes - Does all machinery need to have work instructions

Depends on what your quality system requires.

Work instructions should only be for those areas where the absence of them could cause problems.

If the task-equipment is simple then I would say no.

If you are refering to operating instructions to equipment these should already be documented in the manuals that came with the machine. After that it is a question of training and documenting the training

Antonio Vieira

Involved - Posts
Trusted Information Resource

If we are talking about any ISO 9001:2000 requirements, you don’t have to write any work instruction for any machinery or process.
Years ago, I used to write lots machinery instructions.
When I had any doubt about the working of the machine, generally to asked the people that really work with them.
What’s the use of this...

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Does all machinery need to have work instructions? Only some of our equipment has work instructions right now and I'm not sure if the rest needs to have them also.

Discordian is exactly right. You decide whether instructions are necessary or not.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Everything depends on the nature of the machine and training and experience of the designated workers who will use such a machine.

An auto is a machine. In the United States, most organizations and workers would consider detailed work instructions on starting and operating an auto would be redundant and maybe even insulting, but they might have instructions on speeding, oil change frequency, etc. for fleet vehicles.

From such a mundane example, you can see the existence and extent of detailed instructions for ANY machine varies according to real need, but that doesn't prevent some organizations from overkill. I once saw a work instruction for a flat blade screwdriver listing which size screwdriver to use on which screw and it was careful to list rotation direction for inserting or extracting a screw!

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator

I don't know how big the company is or how complicated the equipment is or how high employee turnover is. So let me say that I agree with the answers above that your organization needs to decide whether work instructions are required. If you agree that their absence will not adversely impact product quality, great!

But what if you have a high turnover rate for employees? How is someone new trained on the piece of equipment? Again, I don't know what is involved in your processes and, besides, it's Friday...I'm in a "devil's advocate" kind of mood. :notangel:

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

I once saw a work instruction for a flat blade screwdriver listing which size screwdriver to use on which screw and it was careful to list rotation direction for inserting or extracting a screw!
:lol: Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

BradM

Leader
Admin

From my experience, the answer is "no". For the amount of equipment I have been exposed to in my past, it would take a fleet of individuals to keep up with the necessary documentation.

We have more formal work instructions for the equipment/process that need them. For example, if we have a piece of equipment that we have modified/added/revised/etc. from the original concept, then we need some sort of reference of what to do. The original instruction manual and technical assistance from MFG. will be of no help on this. Another place we have the formal work instructions is a complex piece of equipment, or one that has multiple significant safety concerns.

If it is just use/operation of a standard piece of equipment, we organize the instruction/use manual in a ready-reference area, should someone need it to operate.

R

rharold

Thanks all. That is sort of what I was thinking but wasn't sure. That completely clears it up. Thanks again.

Top Bottom