How to handle Incoming (Receiving) Inspection as a PFMEA item?

Z

ZLYDCOM

If we make incoming inspection as one of the PFMEA item,how to describe the failure mode?
Does "inspector's mistake" right? or "material problem"?
I'm now confuse on it.
I need help!

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Welcome to the cove:applause:
As I see it the incoming inspection is part of the FMEA, in simplistic terms the requirement is "acceptable material" the failure mode in "non conforming of a particular characteristic" the effect is "not able to produce"
"Inspectors mistake" affects the efficency of the detection
See also Process FMEA Scope - Does PFMEA cover incoming & dock audit?? and there are probable some more discussions if you search

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
ZLYDCOM said:
If we make incoming inspection as one of the PFMEA item,how to describe the failure mode?
Does "inspector's mistake" right? or "material problem"?
I'm now confuse on it.
I need help!

Speaking from a customer perspective, I want suppliers to consider the ways in which the process--receiving inspection--might fail. There are basically four bad things that can happen:
  • "Bad" material is accepted
  • "Good" material is rejected
  • Material is somehow misidentified or mislabeled
  • Material is damaged after receipt
Listing the ways the material supplier might err doesn't usually help because you have no control over that, which is why you have receiving inspection in the first place. A lot of people point to the language in the AIAG FMEA manual that says that in general, for each operation, incoming material should be assumed good. That advice doesn't apply to receiving inspection, though, because we have no way of knowing. It's meant to apply to manufacturing operations because if the process flow is followed in the order that production takes place, we've already dealt with the potential failure modes of operation #1 by the time we get to operation #2.

R

Rea

How to handle incoming inspection as a PFMEA item?

On page 39 of FMEA third edition under 10) Potential failure Mode it states "However, in preparing the FMEA, assume that incoming part(s)/material(s) are correct."

It also states that exception may be made.

So unless you have already identiified deficiencies in incoming part quality why would you include incoming in a PFMEA? Most companies cannot afford the cost of incoming inspection and work with their suppliers on a "ship to stock" basis.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Rea said:
On page 39 of FMEA third edition under 10) Potential failure Mode it states "However, in preparing the FMEA, assume that incoming part(s)/material(s) are correct."

So unless you have already identiified deficiencies in incoming part quality why would you include incoming in a PFMEA? Most companies cannot afford the cost of incoming inspection and work with their suppliers on a "ship to stock" basis.

In my previous post I explained why the language you refer to doesn't apply to receiving inspection. If there is no receiving inspection, then of course there's no need to consider it per se in the PFMEA. But if there is a receiving inspection function, it needs to be considered for precisely the same reason that other operations or processes need to be considered: there is potential for failure (within the operation itself) that can lead to customer unhappiness.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Rea said:

So unless you have already identified deficiencies in incoming part quality why would you include incoming in a PFMEA? Most companies cannot afford the cost of incoming inspection and work with their suppliers on a "ship to stock" basis.
To restate what Jim has said

"incoming part(s)/material(s) are correct" to each operation
as said "It is a description of the non conformance at that specific operation"
The operation we are discussing is "incoming inspection"

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Daniella_Lima

Re: How to handle incoming inspection as a PFMEA item?

I don't know how to describe the failure mode, because i need to consider the part it is conforming, so, i will be the Incoming FMEA about problem during the inspection. It is correct??

I'm very confuse!!! :mg:

Thanks

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Re: How to handle incoming inspection as a PFMEA item?

Speaking from a customer perspective, I want suppliers to consider the ways in which the process--receiving inspection--might fail. There are basically four bad things that can happen:
  • "Bad" material is accepted
  • "Good" material is rejected
  • Material is somehow misidentified or mislabeled
  • Material is damaged after receipt
In addition to these, you might also have:

• Wrong inspection status (i.e., not inspected, but indicated as such)
  • Released for urgent use prior to inspection, retained samples rejected upon inspection, unable to positively recall released material
  • Inspection samples returned to wrong containers (i.e., mixed)
  • Inspection report, incomplete, illegible, misfiled, etc.
  • Inspection requirements documents unclear, wrong revision, etc.
  • Inspector cannot interpret requirements (e.g., GD&T)
  • Inspector cannot measure to requirements (e.g., MSA deficiencies, lack of measuring devices, damaged measurement devices, etc.)
  • Inspection environment inadequate (e.g., lighting, temperature, humidity, soak time, etc.)
  • Control plan inadequate (e.g., sample size, frequency, measurement device, reaction plan , etc.)
  • Et cetera

D

DrM2u

I'd say it depends how detailed you want your PFMEA to be. Best approach is to look at all the steps involved in the receiving process, from the moment the truck door is open until the product or mateial is released for use or placed in storage, or wherever you define the end of the process. Then at every step consider what requirements you have for the process and/or the product, what could go wrong at that step, the effect and the probability and the controls you have in place. For example:
When you open the druck door your first expectation could be that the shipment is in good condition. The failure mode is the containers could be damaged, resulting in rejection of shipment, production delays, delay of shipment to customer, etc (let's pick a rating of 5 following AIAG guidelines). The probability depends on your history (let's pick 2 in this case). The controls you have are the selection method for the carrier (prevention) and visual inspection (detection) with an overall effectiveness of 6. The resulting RPN would be 5*2*6, or 60. Think what else you would expect at this step then move to the next step after you are done. Don't spend much effort on low severity & low priority items as the RPN will be small. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom