Counterfeit Parts - AS9100 D Cl. 8.1.4 - Can I claim no applicability?

Y

yakesm

As this relates to section 4.3, Can I claim no applicability to this section if I do not own the hardware and only provide a portion of the requirements of the product (BP notes i.e. (job shop) coating, heat treat (special processes))?

Interested in how other companies are applying this in similar situations.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
We have a counterfeit prevention procedure, but we had it long before we looked at AS9100 (it was customer driven). For us the most relevant is due to the raw material we purchase. It's actually very easy to do some minimal counterfeit prevention. One place to start is GIDEP.

I know that doesn't answer your question but you might find you spend more energy avoiding it than you will minimally fulfilling it.

P

priyanath

We follow AS5553, AS6174 & AS6081 standards for Counterfeit parts prevention program. Yes GIDEP (Government-Industry Data Exchange Program) is a good source. AS9100D has included Prevention of Counterfeit parts under 8.1.4 but has not made any reference these standards

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
As this relates to section 4.3, Can I claim no applicability to this section if I do not own the hardware and only provide a portion of the requirements of the product (BP notes i.e. (job shop) coating, heat treat (special processes))?

Interested in how other companies are applying this in similar situations.

Q- do you provide any material to the product or is it all provided by the customer...

If you do... how can you verify that the material is not counterfit

J

joburum

Material is really the only area we look at for counterfeit protection. Even with that we review certs from our long trusted suppliers. No need to send material for testing or test in house unless "critical".

J

joburum

A simple counterfeit policy/statement in your Supplier Quality Flowdown and making employees "Aware" of counterfeit material/part risk is suitable.

We do not test raw material here either as nothing is considered critical. To appease the auditor however we may send one random piece out for testing just to validate the supplier checks out ok. Not needed though.

S

sunnycosta

I am the QA of a CNC machine shop. We machine parts based on customer's drawings, models and 99% of the time, it is customer supplied material. Before we cut an "actual" part, we cut on test material, to ascertain if the part is good, whether the CNC programs (we do the programming) are correct. The part is checked on the CMM before we give the go ahead to start production. Is the part cut on test material, a counterfeit part ?
We segregate this part by keeping it on a test piece rack (cabinet) which is locked.
Please advise.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am the QA of a CNC machine shop. We machine parts based on customer's drawings, models and 99% of the time, it is customer supplied material. Before we cut an "actual" part, we cut on test material, to ascertain if the part is good, whether the CNC programs (we do the programming) are correct. The part is checked on the CMM before we give the go ahead to start production. Is the part cut on test material, a counterfeit part ?
We segregate this part by keeping it on a test piece rack (cabinet) which is locked.
Please advise.

Definition of Counterfeit = AS9100D

"3.1 Counterfeit Part

An unauthorized copy, imitation, substitute, or modified part (e.g., material, part, component), which is knowingly misrepresented as a specified genuine part of an original or authorized manufacturer.

NOTE: Examples of a counterfeit part can include, but are not limited to, the false identification of marking or labeling, grade, serial number, date code, documentation, or performance characteristics."

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Please advise.

Not counterfeit unless you knowingly try to pass it off as good, compliant product. BUT, you had better control it really, really well (i.e. multiple control measures) to avoid accidental mixing with "good" product.

Top Bottom