Am I overthinking this or... Should my Registrar be ISO9001 certified

Adriane

Involved - Posts
should my Registrar be ISO certified?

Preparing for reassessment in a few weeks and while reviewing my Purchasing processes and my Approved Supplier List, realized that my Registrar is NOT on my ASL. Now, I know they should be and I will update to include them. My procedure states that Suppliers that have a direct affect on the QMS are to be ISO registered. In the case that they are not self assessment takes place then... you all know the drill.

I'll hand it over to the experts and thanks in advance.

Adriane

R

ralphsulser

Your Registrar is probably Accredited by ANSI-RAB, IATF, or some other recognized authority, to be a Certification Body. They don't need registration like we do as a producer or parts or services. This was discussed here recently, you might search for the thread to see other responses.
Hope this helps

I

IEGeek - 2006

First of all, you got to be kidding me, I thought I was the only person from Ft. Wayne, IN. I am actually going to be there on Friday thru the weekend. WOW

On to your question ~~ In my opinion this is a conundrum wrapped in an enigma. Yes those suppliers having a direct impact on your QMS should be ISO registered and you can assume that your registrar is ISO as they have completed the "stringent" requirements to become a registrar, however....

That being so clear as to leave no question :D I must pass this off. If I recall this came up a few weeks ago in a thread and I can not find it for the life of me. I recall Wes had some comments that were excellent as did Sidney. Try searching the threads.

Wow - Ft. Wayne....

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Adriane said:

Preparing for reassessment in a few weeks and while reviewing my Purchasing processes and my Approved Supplier List, realized that my Registrar is NOT on my ASL. Now, I know they should be and I will update to include them. My procedure states that Suppliers that have a direct affect on the QMS are to be ISO registered. In the case that they are not self assessment takes place then... you all know the drill.

Adriane
You've probably written youirself out of a Registrar by limiting your suppliers to those that are ISO registered. The standard says that the extent of control on your suppliers and purchased product is dependent upon the effect on subsequent product realization or the final product, not on your QMS.

Adriane

Involved - Posts
Not only Registered

IE Geek - Whaaat? Lemme tell ya, the Fort is a happenin' lil town. :agree1: Check out www.whatzup.com for lots to do this weekend.

Al - I don't think I've limited myself too much - I also allow compliance as determined by self assessment or if that isn't acceptable, on-site assessement. IMHO, if it affects the QMS, it also affects the integrity of the parts/services that it (the QMS) produces. Besides ISO is so commonplace these days, I didn't see how it would hinder as a requirement to at least be compliant even though said company didn't have the flag fying out in front of their building.

So, the consensus seems to be that they don't need to be registered since they're held to a more stringent standard? Guess I'll need to update Purchasing procedure then..... It's always something:bonk:

EDIT: I misstated in the original post - procedure states that Suppliers be ISO registered or compliant - apologies - sometimes the mind goes faster than the fingers can type. I also did search the past threads and had no luck even though I did vaguely remember a thread similar

Last edited:

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Adriane said:
Al - I don't think I've limited myself too much - I also allow compliance as determined by self assessment or if that isn't acceptable, on-site assessement. IMHO, if it affects the QMS, it also affects the integrity of the parts/services that it (the QMS) produces. Besides ISO is so commonplace these days, I didn't see how it would hinder as a requirement to at least be compliant even though said company didn't have the flag fying out in front of their building.
I missed the part about self assesment. It will be interesting to see their completed self assessment.

Randy

Super Moderator
Accredited registrars are regularly audited by 3rd parties working on behalf of the accreditation body. They are written N/C's and have to take corrective actions just like organizations with registered systems. You can in fact look upon accreditation as a form of registration.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Adriane said:

Adriane

I agree with the other posts already stated. However, be aware that many registrars are certified to ISO 9001 with third party audits. Both registrars I represent are certified. It is required for certfying bodies in TS.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
hjilling said:
I agree with the other posts already stated. However, be aware that many registrars are certified to ISO 9001 with third party audits. Both registrars I represent are certified. It is required for certfying bodies in TS.
Let's see the evidence, then. Name the Registrars that are certified to ISO 9001 and who certifies them. I am REALLY curious to see your answer. Also, you keep stating a bunch of baloney. Where is the requirement that TS registrars must be ISO 9001 certified? Please don't come back with opinions. Bring facts.

Top Bottom