AS9100 Counterfeit Parts Prevention/Mitigation Work Instruction?

I am attempting to rewrite our company's work instruction regarding counterfeit parts prevention/ mitigation per AS9100D Clause 8.1.4.

Does anybody have a good example of one that they are able/ willing to post on here?

I work for a company that purchases components for the motors that we manufacture.

We design our own motors and also manufacture motors to the designs of our customers.

It states things we are not doing and cannot do, such as purchasing only buying from certain sources and testing the product if not bought from certain sources. Also, our purchasing group has no idea what parts are EEE and which aren't so we have to make it applicable for all parts.

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
If it has been a while, I suggest you also visit the Counterfeit Parts Prevention Guidance in IAQG's section 3.5 of the SCMH. While this is not the template or finished procedure you asked for, the guidance goes far beyond the 128 words in AS9100 section 8.1.4 .

Referring to the comment by @QualitySupervisor that your procedure has to be applicable to all parts, notice how 8.1.4 is written. The AS9100 section doesn't say you have to do all seven bulleted items, it says consider them, as "appropriate to the organization and the product". Your internal procedure could similarly list different initiatives available within your company (similar to the list of seven bulleted items) and allow the procedure users to employ which are appropriate. This tactic may make your current written procedure more audit-friendly.

On the question of purchasing group knowing which parts are EEE and which aren't, that is a separate problem. I believe the friendly people at the Cove could offer ideas to address that problem, but that question deserves a separate thread IMO.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Do your customers flow down any specifics with regards to Counterfeit Parts Prevention? Many do.

Maybe have a look at AS5553 as well.

All, we were able to come up with a general procedure that purchasing finally agreed to. We are just going to say all parts must be from the OEM or their approved distributor, otherwise, they must be tested for authenticity by a third-party lab and then approved by the customer.

Top Bottom