AS9100D, Clause 8.4.1.1 - External Provider Scope of Approval

A

Allie C

Hello,
I'm trying to understand what would be the scope of the approval (8.4.1.1b) when talking about suppliers, listing they are allowed just to provide as an example hardware (screws, washers, etc.) will cover the requirement? Also, about "approval status", the certified, non certified, delegated or not categories would fall under this section?, or are those categories to fit the most on section 8.4.2, keeping the other one as simple as approved or disapproved? Thanks for you help!

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Hi Allie C, and welcome to the forums. :bigwave:
Hello,
I'm trying to understand what would be the scope of the approval (8.4.1.1b) when talking about suppliers, listing they are allowed just to provide as an example hardware (screws, washers, etc.) will cover the requirement?
Yes, in general it's talking about the type of product. In some cases it may be more specific.

Also, about "approval status", the certified, non certified, delegated or not categories would fall under this section?, or are those categories to fit the most on section 8.4.2, keeping the other one as simple as approved or disapproved? Thanks for you help!
Statuses such as fully approved, conditionally approved, and not approved are generally what I see.

A

Allie C

:bigwave: Thank you howste!, I will then keep it that simple, and move the other "categories" to a different section of the std if I found it applies.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
In addition to the type of product or service, I include things like approved for certified welding, DPD approved, and ITAR registration.

Z

zucccchini

There is a category in our supplier list for 'sole supplier'. We cannot get it any where else. They are therefore 'qualified' until they cannot provide that material in a 'quality', 'delivery' we can use.

doctall41

Involved In Discussions
As an example, our outside processors on our ASL have a scope of "Finishes". We also have a scope of Raw Material those type of suppliers. Our auditor wants us to be more specific than "Finishes', because that scope implies that they can perform ALL finishes, so we would have to list all of the finishes individually, by OEM approval, that each External Provider is approved to perform. Isn't that a bit excessive? Any suggestions on how to do that?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Are all of those finishing processes done in Nadcap approved suppliers? If so, I would just list the scope as coatings/finishes done in Nadcap approved suppliers.

I agree with you that the auditor expectations would create a lot of effort to keep the ASL up to date.

doctall41

Involved In Discussions
Are all of those finishing processes done in Nadcap approved suppliers? If so, I would just list the scope as coatings/finishes done in Nadcap approved suppliers.

I agree with you that the auditor expectations would create a lot of effort to keep the ASL up to date.
Yes, they are. So the scope of each supplier is what they are certified to perform in NADCAP? Then we can go to eauditnet to see what they are certified to?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
The scope of approval is what you approve them for. I would guess the criteria of approval is jointly a customer designated source AND Nadcap approval.

How you capture that in your ASL, it is up to you; don’t let auditors likes and dislikes be the driving force for anything in your system.

Top Bottom