Bug Report Thread 070418 --> NOTE: Testing new advertisement layouts

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
NOTE: Testing new advertisement layouts.

It's a long story but I'm doing some testing of advertisement placing in accordance with some advice I'm getting. You may find some 'interesting' things happen as I try different layouts. One problem I'm working on is advertisements overlaying the edit box when you're editing a post (first post or last post) in a thread.

Any bugs you find, please let me know.

Marc

Leader
Well, as it is they appear somewhat intrusive. At this point, like I say, I'm just trying some layouts which were suggested to me. I cannot mention the resource suggesting the changes (long story), but I want to at least try the suggested layouts for a while.

That said, I would appreciate feedback from everyone. I would rather hear complaints than for people to stay silent but disgruntled. My aim is to keep the forum as clean readable as possible, yet, as you can imagine, I want to maximize advertisement visibility.

The current 'advertisement in a post (first post and last post in a thread) is based upon this:
consultant said:
- Integrating the ad units into your forum content. Based on previous testing, integrating ad units into the page content or navigation provides a better user experience, as it gives your users relevant ads in addition to the content they normally see.

- Implementing different ad units to fit more seamlessly into your page design. These new ad units should attract more natural attention and offer supplemental ad content to your users.

Again, everyone's input is appreciated!

As a last note, I *may* be able to make this into something only unregistered people see, but I want to try it in all user groups first for trouble shooting and such.

C

Craig H.

FWIW, I would like to see complete avoidance of any ads within any post "box". I would be VERY unhappy if certain advertisers were within one of my posts - it would appear to some users that I was giving the advertiser my stamp of approval. Unacceptable.

Just MHO.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I agree with Howard.
I'm not finding the ads in the threads providing a better user experience.
I find them intrusive and disruptive of the flow of the conversation.

It's like someone standing in my doorway raving about the latest Sopranos episode as I'm trying to talk to an office mate about a project.

M

martin elliott

FWIW, I would like to see complete avoidance of any ads within any post "box". I would be VERY unhappy if certain advertisers were within one of my posts - it would appear to some users that I was giving the advertiser my stamp of approval. Unacceptable.

Just MHO.

I agree totally Craig with this

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
Marc,

I agree with CraigH., Martin, and Discordian. It's also distracting to the reader when trying to read the posts, IMHO.

Thanks for listening, and good luck with this project. We appreciate everything you do to keep this site as user-friendly and informative for all as possible.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Sorry to 'black hat' this one Marc but I do not like the new trial layout. I too find it intrusive and it seems to elongate the post depending on which ad is in there. I also agree with Craig regarding the implied 'stamp of approval' for an ad within a post.

Marc

Leader
I have to admit I have mixed feelings about advertisements in post boxes.

Like I said, just testing for a few hours.

Anyone else with opinions?

T

tyker

Just MHO.

This was my reaction when I first saw a post including an ad.
I thought it was from a spammer.

Top Bottom