Do I need to certify to AS9100 or AS9120?

N

nigelawilliamson

New to site and AS9100.
Need clarification on which standard is applicable 9100 or 9120.
We purchase metals and plastics - stock these and sell to engineering companies. We cut to length / into billets as required by customers.
Is 9120 adequate or do we need 9100?

AndyN

Moved On
Re: Clarify please

New to site and AS9100.
Need clarification on which standard is applicable 9100 or 9120.
We purchase metals and plastics - stock these and sell to engineering companies. We cut to length / into billets as required by customers.
Is 9120 adequate or do we need 9100?

Welcome to the Cove. As a distributor - and as long as you aren't doing any "value adding" to the materials - then 9120 is applicable.

Big Jim

Admin
Re: Clarify please

Welcome to the Cove. As a distributor - and as long as you aren't doing any "value adding" to the materials - then 9120 is applicable.

I work with AS9120 companies and Andy is correct as far as he went.

You actually can do value added, but only if it is as directed by your customer. For example, you cannot have some of your metal heat treated on speculation that a customer may want it, but you can do heat treating if it is done under your customer's direction.

AS9120 is a much better fit for a distributorship than AS9100.

N

nigelawilliamson

Re: Do I need to certify to AS9100 or AS9120 ?

Guys many thanks. We simply buy in stock - sell on as it is or at very most cut it into billets for customers end use. No heat treatments etc..
Again - many thanks.

J

J Nick

We keep associating the term "Distributor" when considering using AS9120 as the QMS model. This string of comments also commented on "adding value" and/or changing the product as directed by the customer.
I'm beginning to question if we are parsing words to meet a desired conclusion.
I have always held the position AS9120 is the best path for a non-manufacturer, or for someone who does not change the product. Can anyone provide examples where AS9120 would be applicable? Organizations providing a service? Thanks.

AndyN

Moved On

We keep associating the term "Distributor" when considering using AS9120 as the QMS model. This string of comments also commented on "adding value" and/or changing the product as directed by the customer.
I'm beginning to question if we are parsing words to meet a desired conclusion.
I have always held the position AS9120 is the best path for a non-manufacturer, or for someone who does not change the product. Can anyone provide examples where AS9120 would be applicable? Organizations providing a service? Thanks.

Providing a service is a "Product" (service delivery) if you look at the definitions in ISO 9001. So for services, 9100 is the correct model.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Top Bottom