Document Formats: Text Procedures vs. Flow Charts (Process Maps)

B

bonnieblue

Re: Formats: Text Procedures vs. Flow Charts

Hi all,

I'd like to hear from anyone on the pros/cons of representing QMS requirements in the form of "flowcharts" v "documented procedures" and whether anyone has insight, lessons learned or general comment on the usage of either/both. Also, what (preferred) tools are being used to develop/generate process maps.Does anyone use an application which can raise a flowchart AND automatically generate written, formatted sets of written requirements? (hope that makes sense)
~thanks~

i try and use both flow-charts and written procedures because some people are visual followers and some are process followers. i, personally, would not want to receive only a flowchart, at least not the way i create them. flowcharts to me should be like powerpoint presentations...an overview, not word for word what should happen.

mike, if you come across such an application that will build both the flowchart and the written procedure at the same time, i'd love to know about it. it seems that might be the holy grail. :magic:

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Formats: Text Procedures vs. Flow Charts

i try and use both flow-charts and written procedures because some people are visual followers and some are process followers. i, personally, would not want to receive only a flowchart, at least not the way i create them. flowcharts to me should be like powerpoint presentations...an overview, not word for word what should happen.

mike, if you come across such an application that will build both the flowchart and the written procedure at the same time, i'd love to know about it. it seems that might be the holy grail. :magic:

A flowchart IS (one type of) written procedure (if there is enough detail in it)!

You can combine the two styles using a deployment flowchart and "RACI" methodology to show how roles are involved in each task. Don't put the text inside the symbols (since that limits the amount of text) - but don't overdo it either.

You can see an example of the format we use at: http://elsmar.com/Forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8590

You may still need narrative reference documents for detailed tasks for what I would call "Work Instructions", but you can define most of a QMS in this format.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom