Google celebrates 11th birthday (and other Google artwork)

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Google.com has a new doodle today and it highlights the point that Google is now 11 years old.

The logo of the Google spells Goog11e today to celebrate the event.

Attachments

• Googlle.gif
    Googlle.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 153

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
HG Wells

Here's from a few weeks back - HG Wells 'War of the Worlds'.

Google HG Wells 2009.gif

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Google celebrates 11th birthday

Google.com has a new doodle today and it highlights the point that Google is now 11 years old.

The logo of the Google spells Goog11e today to celebrate the event.

Wow, I didn't even send a card. :tg:

This made me think of this recent thread: Immortality Only 20 Years Away Says Scientist. In 1968, twenty years before Google, there wasn't even an Internet and its quaint predecessor, Wikipedia reference-linkArpanet, was still a year away. From the linked Wikipedia article:
By mid-1968, a complete plan had been prepared, and after approval at ARPA, a Request for Quotation (RFQ) was sent to 140 potential bidders. Most regarded the proposal as outlandish, and only 12 companies submitted bids, of which only four were regarded as in the top rank. By the end of the year, the field had been narrowed to two, and after negotiations, a final choice was made, and the contract was awarded to BBN Technologies on 7 April 1969.
(My emphasis)
So twenty years before Google, even a rudimentary wide-area network was considered "outlandish" by companies that could have been in on the proverbial ground floor. BBN Technologies is still in business. I wonder how many of those other 139 companies are.

The future ain't what it used to be.

A

amanbhai

Re: Google celebrates 11th birthday

how come i did not notice it.

Top Bottom