IATF 16949 Clause 4.4.1.2 - Product Safety

morteza

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all

In clause 4.4.1.2 (product safety) IATF 16949 states:

The organization shall have documented processes for the management of product-safety related products and manufacturing processes, which shall include but not be limited to the following, where applicable:
d) identification of product safety-related characteristics;
e) identification and controls of safety-related characteristics of product and at the point of manufacture;

My questions is:

1- What is the difference between requirement d) and requirement e)?
I.e. In item d) the standard requires the organization to identify product safety-related characteristics, and again in item e) to identify safety-related characteristics of product.

May someone explain me more the requirement of item e) especially about “identification and controls … at the point of manufacture”.

Thanks all for your knowledge sharing!

QualitySpirit

Involved In Discussions
Though I am not a native English speaker, the sentence "identification and controls of ... at the point of manufacture" looks weird to me.

Using a sense, I would interpret d) that I need to identify which features(characteristics) of my product are safety related, then I need to e) identify how I would control these features and control them. e.g. the word identification in e) is identifying control methods over the characteristics identified in d).

An example: If I produce a metal ring that is used in automotive brake system.

d) I identified that the internal diameter (characteristic) is a safety related characteristic as if it is not in the tolerance, it could not hold oil pressure and the brake system would fail.

e) I identified the control method over this internal diameter by 100% inspection with high accuracy automated inspection at the point of manufacture.

morteza

Though I am not a native English speaker, the sentence "identification and controls of ... at the point of manufacture" looks weird to me.

Using a sense, I would interpret d) that I need to identify which features(characteristics) of my product are safety related, then I need to e) identify how I would control these features and control them. e.g. the word identification in e) is identifying control methods over the characteristics identified in d).

An example: If I produce a metal ring that is used in automotive brake system.

d) I identified that the internal diameter (characteristic) is a safety related characteristic as if it is not in the tolerance, it could not hold oil pressure and the brake system would fail.

e) I identified the control method over this internal diameter by 100% inspection with high accuracy automated inspection at the point of manufacture.
Thanks for your answer.

As I understand from your reply, you mean that IATF made a mistake in writing the standard and instead of " identification of controls ..." they wrote "identification and controls ...".

I think it is strange that IATF made such mistake.

jelly1921

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thanks for your answer.

As I understand from your reply, you mean that IATF made a mistake in writing the standard and instead of " identification of controls ..." they wrote "identification and controls ...".

It is not a mistake!
d) identification of product safety-related characteristics; --- it is output of product design and development process.
e) identification and controls of safety-related characteristics of product and at the point of manufacture --- is output of manufacturing design and development process.

Jelly

QualitySpirit

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for your answer.

I would not dare to say IATF made a mistake..:nope: I only said it looks weird to me and the sentence did confuse you and me. :confused:

As you see there is already a sentence identification of the characteristics, it does not make sense to write a duplicate one in another sub-clause. So I can only guess that for the second one;

identification and controls = identification (of controls) and implementation those controls.

Perhaps, a native English speaker in this forum could give a better translation on this one.

Sebastian

d) identification of product safety-related characteristics;
e) identification and controls of safety-related characteristics of product and at the point of manufacture;
d) determine/select ...
e) mark (in documents) and control ... where it is made.

P

PEQC.Moon

[SIZE="<font><font>2</font></font>"]Hello. I am an IATF16949 consultant in Korea.
I thought this was a safety feature.
D) is the product characteristic, and e) is the process characteristic.
For example, d) can be the run-out of the brake disk.
E) can be the spindle rpm of the plant producing it.: notme :[/SIZE]

QualityTaz

Registered
I am interpreting this a little different.

d) Refers to the product characteristics or safety characteristic is part of your upfront product development and is cascaded through your DFME to PFMEA and to your control plans.

e) I believe is how do you cascade it down to the production floor an this can be done in your job specific instructions etc.

I think the even bigger part of this is the escalation process. If a safety characteristic is not met how is it escalated?

The definition called out in the standard for Product Safety states "Standards relating to the design and manufacturing of products to ensure they do not represent harm or hazards to customers"

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions
It is not a mistake!
d) identification of product safety-related characteristics; --- it is output of product design and development process.
e) identification and controls of safety-related characteristics of product and at the point of manufacture --- is output of manufacturing design and development process.

Jelly

IT can be a component of a procedure for Management of Change.:applause:

Top Bottom