Implementing ISO 9001 in a Home Business

T

troymason

Hi people, not sure if I have posted this in the right place, sorry ifi have not, struggling to use the forum.

have been asked by a friend to implement 9001 into his company, I,m more than willing to do this for him but I,m used to manufacturing and his company is an industrial *door installer his scope is below, he is based at home with I do believe one van to get to site with 5 - 8 people working for him,

"Our expert services include installation, maintenance, upgrades and repairs of all kinds of industrial and commercial shutters, doors, gates and grilles"

How different of a job will this be for me as he is based at home and all work is done on site?*

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
This would be a service industry topic.

How many employees, or is it just one person?

AndyN

Moved On
Hi people, not sure if I have posted this in the right place, sorry ifi have not, struggling to use the forum.

have been asked by a friend to implement 9001 into his company, I,m more than willing to do this for him but I,m used to manufacturing and his company is an industrial *door installer his scope is below, he is based at home with I do believe one van to get to site with 5 - 8 people working for him,

"Our expert services include installation, maintenance, upgrades and repairs of all kinds of industrial and commercial shutters, doors, gates and grilles"

How different of a job will this be for me as he is based at home and all work is done on site?*

Different to what, do you mean? His way of operation is what it is - you have to see what he does that already complies with the standard (scoping an installation and quoting, for example) and fill in the gaps.

T

troymason

I'm just looking for specifi areas that may be very different to a company with its own premises I.e. sales office etc.

M

mortby

Just start with understanding the processes he uses and then look at how they fit against the requirements of 9001.
Keep it simple!

P

p1stonbroke

This really should not be different at all.
  • Flowchart the business activities.
  • Inputs (orders, specifications, raw materials, etc)
  • Outputs (quotations, orders, deliverables)
  • Identify the means and methods used.
  • Identify who does them, and if any particular skills or training are required by those persons (i.e. do they need to be trained)
  • Add specific detail (perhaps in the form of a work instruction) where the flowchart does not provide enough detail for an auditor to determine if the job is being done repeatably - and revision control these documents.
  • Create standardized forms where you neeed to capture information, or pass data in a controlled manner from one person to another, or to a supplier/customer.
  • Formalise things like where and how you store your drawings, programs, and how you make sure your tools and equipment stay in functional useable condition (calibration and maintenance)
  • Put in an audit process - which can be as simple as auditing compliance of the personnel to the flowchart, once or twice a year
  • Put all this together in a book, called a Quality Manual - and link the relevant sections of the manual to the relevant caluse in the ISO standard. e.g "this covers the requirements of section xxx 'Records Management'"
  • hold an annual management review, to determine if changes to the quality system are needed - based on assessing things like custoemr complaints or errors.
  • Get an external body in to check that what you are doing is controlling your processes to ensure that your product/services are repeatable and controlled
  • stick your certificate on the wall, on your website and promote the fact that you, unlike your competetors have an ISO approved system, then wait for the work to roll in*
Remember to make it simple enough to be useful but detailed enough to be helpful

* an ISO certificate is not a guarantee of being flooded with work

J

JaneB

As others have said, it's not different at all.

Probably the most difficult part is going to be for you, given that you're more used to manufacturing. You'll need to make the transition to what sounds essentially like a service business. And that is different (to manfacturing).

Top Bottom