Lean Projects for my home - Teaching my family the principles of 5s

L

Laura M

Re: Lean Projects for my home - Teaching my family the principals of 5s

There's a show on television called "Clean Sweep".

My own personal experience is that yard/garage sales are horrible - I just donate the stuff to a local charity - but watching "Clean Sweep" along with a similar show called "Mission Organization" might give you some practical ideas. I wish I could remember what channel these are on - I want to say TLC but I'm really not sure right now.

Clean Sweep is on TLC, Mission Organization on HGTV. I watch when I have to clean clutter for inspiration!

FYI - I have thought about a similar thing. I tried to explain 'pull signals' with the kids, with the extra roll of TP in the basket. That when they put that on the roller - which they do - that they should replace the one in the basket. It would be a much more effective process that yelling 'Can someone go get me toilet paper!'

ICY - that was priceless.

S

sunwen

Reminds me of an old joke about an efficiency expert talking to a friend about such home projects.

"I was studying how my wife made breakfast in the morning and I realized that there were many possiblitities for improvement," said the expert. "By rearranging the kitchen, running several jobs at once, etc, the whole process could be much more efficient. So in the spirit of efficiency, I told my wife all the things she was doing wrong and how the whole process could be more efficient."

"Did the suggestions cut down on the time required to make breakfast?" asked the friend.

"Absolutely. It used to take her 30 minutes to prepare my breakfast. Now it takes me 20."

Tim F

harry is right!!! then maybe you have to prepare your breakfast yourself, Haha

G

Greg B

I wish I had found this thread earlier. It is very clever but fraught with danger (see Tim's post re: breakfast)
I suppose I have installed lots of this at home as it was part of my Military training and being an ex Drill instructor I love to see stones painted white , beds that you bounce a coin off, stores placed away neatly and recruits (children) obedient and rigorous in their upkeep of my teachings....simplae answer....I have four daughters and it 'ain't gonna happen :lmao:

P

potdar

I would have to study about my wife preparing the breakfast.

All these years I have been teaching the industry that the best example to see 'a place for everything and everything in its place' was the kitchen. Just see your wife working in the kitchen. She knows where everything is, its always there, whatever is needed frequently is kept closer at hand.. Only things not being labelled and the logic being personalised, you cant find the same things as efficiently if you attempt the trick.

Eliminate the 'personalisation' and it becomes a perfect example of 5S. I discussed this with my wife and her response was, 'maybe, but it will not be 'my' kitchen any more'. Take it or leave it!!:lmao:

I suppose I can count myself lucky. As it happens, the ladies are still fast asleep when I leave for work in the morning. That makes my breakfast a very lean affair. ;)

/Claes

G

Gail Former - 2008

Anyone here remember the 1950's movie "Cheaper By The Dozen" with Clifton Webb and Jean Crain? (Or better yet, the book) Seems to me that this project bears a strong resemblance.:lol:

sheeplady

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

Anyone here remember the 1950's movie "Cheaper By The Dozen" with Clifton Webb and Jean Crain? (Or better yet, the book) Seems to me that this project bears a strong resemblance.:lol:

sheeplady

a dozen? Gods forbid. Two is plenty.

The plan isn't going so hot with my (amost) 4 year old.
He's far better at taking things out than putting them back.
I'm trying to convince that Superman and Batman put away their toys when they were boys. I think he's skeptical.

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator

sheeplady

YOU NAILED IT! Six sigma and lean are just the old Industrial Engineering time studies in a new suit!

F

Fpina

I DO want to see that, once is in place..... It will be the resolution of several "non-conformities" at home. Please share. :)

V

vallesj

I am just reading this thread, and I am wondering after a couple of years, if somebody was successfully teaching 5S to kids. I think teaching them to be organized in the way of how to organize, will be helpful for their lifes. But, if there is no chance of success, then I just have to eliminate the 5S idea on my head for implementing this on my home.

Just as a comment for those who laugh about office 5S, I labeled the stuffs at my desk since 2 years ago, and it worked very well for me: I can know when somebody took my tape, or something from my desk, I can know always where are the things I need most, and instead of having product samples, papers, reports, etc. stacking here, my desk is completely clean. Let me post a picture of it.

Attachments

• Lean Projects for my home - Teaching my family the principles of 5s
    DSC00093.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 247
Top Bottom