New to AS9100 and have a REV C Audit scheduled in Feb.

D

dwend

Sorry, that was supposed to be AAQG (America's Aerospace Quality Group. Also check out the IAQG if you have not already......

D

dv8shane

I would strongly recommend that you learn both the AS9100C and AS9101D standards as well as you possibly can.

Find a two or three day AS9100C internal audit class and pay particular attention to the part about the standard itself.

Buy a copy of AS9101D (the document that tells auditors how to audit AS9100C) and become familiar with that too. Pay particuar attention to the PEAR (appendix C), the Stage 1 Audit (appendix f), and the OER (appendix A). One of the things that companies get caught on the most is the use of the PEAR so make sure you know what your auditor will be looking for and be ready to easily explain how you do it.

You are right, your time is short, and if you do not prepare enough you will have a lot of surprises come audit day.
I am totally in agreement Jim, the AS9100C audit process is completely different being that it is process driven and documented on PEARs.

I would also suggest DIRTTRACK review the IAQG AS9100C clarification document in regards to risk management. It defines the requirements this is changed from Rev B.

D

DIRTTRACK

First of all I would like to thank all for your open mind and willing to help. This form is awesome, I'm glad i found it. This is what i found hard for myself and our company to justify.

If we are already excluded from the whole design and development AS9100B 7.3
How does PM,RM and CM even apply to us?
Our approach is always the same for each job we take on. Our customers always supply the drawings, we absolutely do not design or sell our own product. Inspection requirements, Key characteristics, are defind by our customers. We treat each dimension as critical, because if you have one dimension out it could scrap the whole part. Also,f or our aerospace customer base we are also held to certain approved vendors to use for NDT, plating, painting etc. Would I be wrong in saying that my company is also excluded from these new requirements of REV C?

Starting to really understand but yet still so confused!

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
If we are already excluded from the whole design and development AS9100B 7.3 How does PM,RM and CM even apply to us?
Let's start with risk management. Is there a risk you could accept an order that you don't have the technical capability to make or capacity to deliver on-time? Is there a risk when you select a supplier that they may not be able to do what you want when you want it? Is there a risk that production will make bad parts? Is there a risk that measurement error may lead to shipping bad parts? If the answer to these (and many other) questions is no, then you might justify an exclusion.

Configuration management is similar. The design is already set, but there are a lot of things that need to be done to ensure that the specified product configuration is shipped to the customer. ISO 10007 gives details of each of the items specified for configuration management in AS9100. If you can, get a copy and see what those terms listed really mean.

Project management for a shop like yours can be relatively simple. There's a good chance that your organization is already using project management methods to do things like schedule new work and meet specified delivery dates consistently.

Would I be wrong in saying that my company is also excluded from these new requirements of REV C?
Yes.

D

DIRTTRACK

Howste,

Your points are well taken and understood! There are so many ways to interpret this standard. Your response to risk management confirms my thoughts that we already perform this, it is just not technically documented. Jobs are reviewed at quote for ability to machine and the quotes specify a lead time to deliver OTIF. We already have a list of suppliers and their capabilities and they are called prior to sending out parts to check on lead time. The only downfall of our aerospace work is we don't have a choice on who to use for outside services. Companies like Boeing, Parker, Goodrich, Airbus, NASA and many others have their own certified vendors and that is who we and all companies have to use. And yes there is always the possibility that production will produce bad parts. That is why our company has in process inspection checks, FAI approval and final inspection standards set in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom