PPAP Documentation Control

Fowldsy

Registered
Hello,

After an in depth PPAP review which lasted days, we have been hit with a rejection on the final step. 7.5.3 - Documentation Control.

The customer has demanded we meet the following criteria before the PSW be signed:

Full contents page which every document listed
Every page to be numbered
Headers for all documents
Date, Author, Approver, Revision for each page

Considering the PPAP in questions is one of the most complex products/processes I've had to deal with (2 binders worth), this is a mammoth task.

The question is, what lengths do you go to with the aim of satisfying this criteria?

Thanks.

Fowldsy

Registered
My first opinion on this: The customer has requested it. You must meet the needs of your customer.

On the other hand, the customer also gets what they pay for. Unless this is in the CSR upfront or some audit requirement I have overlooked, I can only suggest the customer must incur a cost for this.

I'm trying to understand where is the norm within the industry and what do audit bodies say regarding the subject.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
On the other hand, the customer also gets what they pay for. Unless this is in the CSR upfront or some audit requirement I have overlooked, I can only suggest the customer must incur a cost for this.

I'm trying to understand where is the norm within the industry and what do audit bodies say regarding the subject.
The question is whether you were made aware of these requirements prior to the demands being made. If not, everything is negotiable. If you were aware, chalk it up to experience.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Hi no doubt there is a progress payment tied to this major milestone....probably a good idea to comply...and to a degree can a process ever have too much documentation? A bit of sarcasm...some details as to industry, product etc, may help provide some more insight

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
What PPAP "standard" are you working with. Many customers have developed checklists to keep things straight, but they are asking for a lot.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
  1. Full contents page which every document listed
  2. Every page to be numbered
  3. Headers for all documents
  4. Date, Author, Approver, Revision for each page

If this was not agreed to prior to signing the contract I would probably refuse unless it was in their supplier requirements documents.

Do remember many companies have their own customer specific requirements and things like supplier manuals, too, which may include the above requirements and thus would be applicable regardless of the contract tears and conditions.

My 2 cents:
1. Standard.​
2. Doesn't appear to be problematic.​
3. Relatively routine, no?​
4. A bit much for every page.​

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
As Marc said, there could be hidden requirements. Check the Supplier Quality Manual that they furnished or you have downloaded from their site.

Just my :2cents:

Fowldsy

Registered
If this was not agreed to prior to signing the contract I would probably refuse unless it was in their supplier requirements documents.

Do remember many companies have their own customer specific requirements and things like supplier manuals, too, which may include the above requirements and thus would be applicable regardless of the contract tears and conditions.

My 2 cents:
1. Standard.​
2. Doesn't appear to be problematic.​
3. Relatively routine, no?​
4. A bit much for every page.​

100% Agree.

It is not stated in any documentation from any supplier visible documentation (PPAP Guidelines, CSR) nor can I see it in any audit documentation IATF/ISO etc.. This is one of many 'internal' documents the customer has been pulling out of there sleeve which we would normally comply but this is a step too far.

Top Bottom