Process Improvement Proposal Presentation

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks Stijloor.

Speaking of learning and tools etc, does anyone have any checklists and or paperwork already created that I could use in my process?

Thanks all again

Red4165

;)

Hello Red4165,

There's so much here on The Cove...too much to list here. You may want to do a search. There are so many good threads and attachments dealing with your process. Could you make a list of topics, prioritize, and then go searching?

Stijloor.

R

Red4165

Hello Red4165,

There's so much here on The Cove...too much to list here. You may want to do a search. There are so many good threads and attachments dealing with your process. Could you make a list of topics, prioritize, and then go searching?

Stijloor.

No worries, I will search as you suggest.

I now need to determine which areas need attention first. I need to also have ready for the CEO some detail on my critical areas. In my presentation I identified a few (10) areas for improvement however I need to priortise these issues and how do I know that I haven't missed something of major importance that he will see as an oversee.

I suppose what I am trying to do here is to impress the boss by showing him that I am worthy to do the job that I have sold him on. I never said that it would be easy, I am always ready for a challenge, however I sold him on my passion to formalise and standardise systems to reduce risk and costs. Now I need to learn how the heck I am going to do that - maybe I am just having a lack of confidence moment????

Red4165

:confused:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
No worries, I will search as you suggest.

I now need to determine which areas need attention first. I need to also have ready for the CEO some detail on my critical areas. In my presentation I identified a few (10) areas for improvement however I need to priortise these issues and how do I know that I haven't missed something of major importance that he will see as an oversee.

I suppose what I am trying to do here is to impress the boss by showing him that I am worthy to do the job that I have sold him on. I never said that it would be easy, I am always ready for a challenge, however I sold him on my passion to formalise and standardise systems to reduce risk and costs. Now I need to learn how the heck I am going to do that - maybe I am just having a lack of confidence moment????

Red4165 :confused:

Hello Red 4165,

When you prioritize, look first for the "low hanging fruits." It will provide you with the (much needed) small wins, it will surely impress your boss, and it will enhance your self-confidence.

Stijloor.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Hi All

Well, I forwarded my presentation to the CEO today, page 1,2,5,8,11 total of 5 pages. He rang me early this morning prior to reading the presentation and we had a brief discussion. We discussed the fact that he sees this role as an overall business process improvement role and hopes that I don't just look at it from a Qualty perspective. I explained that it is through the principles of quality, 6 sigma and dmaic etc etc that I am able to identify opportunities with perspective. He advised that nothing is set in concrete yet however after another discussion later in the morning he also stated that he can see exactly where I am coming from and it seems that we are 'working from the same page'. He will be in our office on Wednesday to advise my current boss the Ops Director of his intentions and get his buy in for the detail of replacing me etc and the timelines. So it is all looking good at this stage but I will know more on Wednesday. When this does go ahead, I will be searching this site frantically to assist me in the initial stages of this role.

Red4165

Hi Red,

Good for you. You did the right thing to reduce the pages otherwise you run the risk of information overload.

The cove is a treasure trove of information - the limit is your search skills. We'll be glad to help out.

R

Red4165

Can anyone provide me with some examples of low hanging fruits that they have identified, the process used in the identification and how they fixed the issues?:confused:

R

RickT

Hi All

I have just been offered by our CEO the opportunity to change positions from my current QA Manager position to anything in the company that I am interested in. He also advised me that if there is not anything in particular that interests me then I am welcome to present to him a proposal for a new position that would take me to a higher level and of course would benefit the company. Of course I was extremely pleased as he also offered me some great feedback on my successes that has bought me to where I am today ............

He asked my opinion on who would replace me, we agreed on a qualified person, we discussed who I would report to (HR) and where I would be stationed and we were both quite excited as the things that I identified were also concerns that he has had ....................

I agree with all other responses -CONGRATULATIONS !!!

The responses are also should confirm for you that you are heading in precisely the right direction, only requiring confirmation in your own mind, that you are in fact, doing so -- you certainly appear to be!

I do however, have one concern. I may not be correct, but it seems this new position will reside within the HR process and report to HR. Please understand this is not intended in any way, as a knock against HR, but merely an attempt to confirm from virtually all publications seriously addressing process improvement, that the effort must begin and end with the most senior individual in the organization.

Those who are in my age group may well remember a program developped and presented to many organizations, by a group run by a Mr. Bill Onken. The program was called "Managing Management Time" and contained many good "one liners". I have always remembered this one "If the Boss doesn't know about it, it aint happening".

One way to be absolutely sure the boss knows about it is to have the process reporting directly to the highest level.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Can anyone provide me with some examples of low hanging fruits that they have identified, the process used in the identification and how they fixed the issues?:confused:

I've got quite a bit of statistically related material on the internet at https://www.hanford.gov/rl/?page=1156&parent=1144. Pareto Charts (https://www.hanford.gov/rl/uploadfiles/VPP_Pareto.pdf) and Histograms (https://www.hanford.gov/rl/uploadfiles/VPP_Histogram.pdf) are great numerical tools for finding low hanging fruit. Of course, a key in the first place is eyes and ears in the workplace and asking questions. I have a few case studies at https://www.hanford.gov/rl/uploadfiles/VPP_9_Case_Studies.ppt

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Hi All

I have just been offered by our CEO the opportunity to change positions from my current QA Manager position to anything in the company that I am interested in. He also advised me that if there is not anything in particular that interests me then I am welcome to present to him a proposal for a new position that would take me to a higher level and of course would benefit the company. Of course I was extremely pleased as he also offered me some great feedback on my successes that has bought me to where I am today ............

He asked my opinion on who would replace me, we agreed on a qualified person, we discussed who I would report to (HR) and where I would be stationed and we were both quite excited as the things that I identified were also concerns that he has had ....................

I agree with all other responses -CONGRATULATIONS !!!

The responses are also should confirm for you that you are heading in precisely the right direction, only requiring confirmation in your own mind, that you are in fact, doing so -- you certainly appear to be!

I do however, have one concern. I may not be correct, but it seems this new position will reside within the HR process and report to HR. Please understand this is not intended in any way, as a knock against HR, but merely an attempt to confirm from virtually all publications seriously addressing process improvement, that the effort must begin and end with the most senior individual in the organization.

Those who are in my age group may well remember a program developped and presented to many organizations, by a group run by a Mr. Bill Onken. The program was called "Managing Management Time" and contained many good "one liners". I have always remembered this one "If the Boss doesn't know about it, it aint happening".

One way to be absolutely sure the boss knows about it is to have the process reporting directly to the highest level.

Congratulations - that is quite an offer and opportunity!

I think it would make more sense to be under the Quality or Engineering parts of the Org Chart. HR is not necessarily the right fit.

The best would be to report to this same boss directly!

R

Red4165

Many thanks for your comments and I absolutely agree with you. The CEO is trying to justify his friend and working partner of 10 years HR Director role. He mentioned that she needs to fill her role more however I feel that she should be taking her role more seriously. SHe and our CEO were HR consultants contracted to our company before our old CEO resigned. When he left they basically moved in. They are an asset to the company and I like them both very much however the morale issues on the production floor and within the Operations team is extremely low. Our absenteeism is high and so is staff turnover. So far our HR director has only been dealing with redundencies, workcover claims, written warnings and employment. If her efforts were more proactive I believe tings could improve. That is why in my presentation that I put that I would report directly to the CEO and work in conjunction with the HR Director. I can't wait to get stuck into this role, I am very excited and also look forward to this as a huge challenge for me. As requested previously, do you have any examples of low hanging fruit that you have identified and improved etc?

R

Red4165

I've got quite a bit of statistically related material on the internet at https://www.hanford.gov/rl/?page=1156&parent=1144. Pareto Charts (https://www.hanford.gov/rl/uploadfiles/VPP_Pareto.pdf) and Histograms (https://www.hanford.gov/rl/uploadfiles/VPP_Histogram.pdf) are great numerical tools for finding low hanging fruit. Of course, a key in the first place is eyes and ears in the workplace and asking questions. I have a few case studies at https://www.hanford.gov/rl/uploadfiles/VPP_9_Case_Studies.ppt

Thanks Steve, I will certainly look at using these in my process of identifying and improving low hanging fruit

Top Bottom