Should Quality folks be just policemen & policewomen?

Y

Yew Jin

Re: Should Quality folks be just policeman & policewomen?

If all the employees (top to bottom line) act in proactive. Then we are easily to change the quality era from Inspection ---> Statistical Quality Control --->Quality Assuarance ---> TQM ---> Strategy Quality Planning.

Sometime it is a sad case when the people act in reactive in an organization.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

After reading most of these posts, it appears that this thought pattern is "old school" and the mind set needs to be changed to the "new school" which is business focused and process directed.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

After reading most of these posts, it appears that this thought pattern is "old school" and the mind set needs to be changed to the "new school" which is business focused and process directed.
Yes exactly.

In a developing system we might expect to see Old School methods and interactions.

As systems mature we might have gained a sense that such a structure isn't making enough gains and we'd seek to develop more functional relationships between QA folks and those whom we serve.

Management drives that devleopment. Management decides the extent and depth to which QA can assist in developing robust systems that resist errors. Culture is a big part of the migration toward the New School paradigm.

Developing systems can include Mom and Pop companies and larger organizations too, anywhere on the globe. Perhaps a good telling point is how much thinking or obeying the management wants its employees to do. One way communications or two-way/loops. Things like that.

K

km214

I agree, Quality professionals should teach, then audit to ensure what is taught is practiced... In a way some perceive this as policing but in that respect I disagree. If the procedure or process is not being followed as instructed, then the teacher did a bad job. I take great pride in my training programs, it is a shame that some management ignore or disregard the impact of quality on training and continuous improvement.
Thank You

D

Dave.C

Interesting point to note regarding auditing being perceived as policing. (Not including conformance audits of product here..) What is the purpose of an audit?

Sure, one is to confirm processes are operating as intended or that procedures are being followed but another important element is that auditing should be used to identify potential improvements. Ask why is it done this way? Is it efficient? Can we achieve our goals by doing it differently? What is the auditees input into this?

By communicating this to the auditee at the outset you tend to get a much more proactive result, involvement of the process owner or operator and audit results adding value to the organisation.

Just my two penneth.

P

pthareja

Re: policewomen?

Policing is indeed wasting time. Investing in resources, which are necessitated because some one is expected not to conform( to laws, statutory and regulatory, or even ethical requirements).

Police may sometimes be useful in exigencies, calamities.:applause:

Quality control people are akin to policemen. Rather policewomen. Since they are delicate, yet resilient; soft and sympathetic, yet firm. They have higher aesthetic sense too, thus a more harmoniously developed evaluative ability.

The lady can serve you an excellent Quality food uninterruptedly for a whole generation. But if you assign her the role of a policewoman... God forbid!
Husbands have invested their resources elsewhere:lmao:.

Priyavrat Thareja

C

Cncapps

Here it is:
Promote a New, Integrated Quality Philosophy Set (Ed Thomas)
Prime Objective:
“To continuously maximize shareholder (Company) value and customer satisfaction; all else is secondary and negotiable.”

Maxim:
“To ensure that quality is integrated into the way we all do business on a daily basis.”

The Integrated Quality Function:
“QA is NOT a separate policing function at
Your Company, but rather an interwoven,
facility-wide, cultivated work ethic of doing the best job in the most effective and economical manner to satisfy the customer (internally and externally).”

Focus:
“Continuously identify new opportunities for improvement and pursue implementation on a
Cost/Benefit and ROI justifiable basis.”

Daily Work Practice:
“Be creative and provide support and solutions to Engineering, Production, Procurement and all other
functions in order to deliver a high-quality competitively priced product, on schedule, that meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations. Always be Friendly, Frank, Firm (technical issues) and Fair.”

P

pthareja

the employees (top to bottom line) act ..proactive[ly]. .[So]. we ..change .. era from Inspection ---> Statistical Quality Control --->Quality Assuarance ---> TQM ---> Strategy Quality Planning.

and we
Cncapps said:
“Be creative and provide support and solutions to Engineering, Production, Procurement .. all .
functions in order to .. exceeds the customer’s expectations. Always be Friendly, Frank, Firm (technical issues) and Fair.”

Then, the world will be one which envisages men/women in uniform... to be titled as operators and not to police?

Amen!

S

Sorin

The Integrated Quality Function:
“QA is NOT a separate policing function at Your Company, but rather an interwoven, facility-wide, cultivated work ethic of doing the best job in the most effective and economical manner to satisfy the customer (internally and externally).”

I have an issue with the above statement...either is about quality as a function or is about QA.
If it's about the quality as a way of life in any company, the statement should read: "Quality is not a separate....."
If it's about QA, that statement makes no sense whatsoever...or I am in a thick phase....

Daily Work Practice:
“Be creative and provide support and solutions to Engineering, Production, Procurement and all other functions in order to deliver a high-quality competitively priced product, on schedule, that meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations. Always be Friendly, Frank, Firm (technical issues) and Fair.”

Unless I have a comprehension issue (with English being my 3rd language and so on), the above statement reads like slavery .
Everyone is supposed to bring solutions/support to the aforementioned departments.

Teamwork? Anyone? How about dynamic feedback? Communication?
Am I reading something wrong?

Top Bottom