Supplier Performance - Recording Supplier Performance for long term trend reporting

K

KAMay

Hi

I'm wondering how people record supplier performance for long term trend reporting...

We have a procedure for approving suppliers, a list of said suppliers and a non-conformance form for when something goes wrong, but I'm not sure of the best way to examine their performance for trends?

3 strikes you're out maybe :notme: ?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Supplier Performance

Hi

I'm wondering how people record supplier performance for long term trend reporting...

We have a procedure for approving suppliers, a list of said suppliers and a non-conformance form for when something goes wrong, but I'm not sure of the best way to examine their performance for trends?

When you gather supplier performance data over a longer time period, you can develop a simple run chart and observe trends. When you observe a deterioration in (for example) delivery performance, you could initiate corrective action. Firing a supplier should be an action of last resort.

Stijloor.

T

Ted Schmitt

Re: Supplier Performance

Hi

I monitor my suppliers by delivery time and quality problems.

Delivery : i demerit more the later they are in delivery.
Quality : I demerit more depending on the disposition of a Non conformance report.

If they are below a certain % they are out... between X% and Y% they must supply me with a detailed report on what is being done to resolve the problems (either delivery or quality related). If they are above 96% in 3 straight trimesters, they are waived of incoming inspection.

Hope this helped !

D

DrM2u

Re: Supplier Performance - Recording Supplier Performance for long term trend reporti

I take a slightly different approach to supplier quality. I do not 'ding' the supplier unless their performance affects my ability to meet customer's requirements. I could care less if they ship late or early, or if they ship bad products that they eventually replace. The only thing I care is if I am able to meet my commitments and am able to deliver a quality product on time as the customer specified. It is called 'customer-focused' quality management. The rest of the stuff is trivial, time and resource-consuming information and do not spend time on the details until I forsee a potential problem or experience a problem. So far it has worked great where ever I implemented this mentality. It freed people to focus on more important things. Just my oppinion ...

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Supplier Performance - Recording Supplier Performance for long term trend reporti

<snip>I could care less if they ship late or early, or if they ship bad products that they eventually replace. <snip>

Don't know about this....:mg:
Have you tried this in automotive supplier land? ;)
Shipping early or late? Have you ever heard about ASNs?

Stijloor.

Last edited:
D

DrM2u

Stijloor, I spent more than 1/2 of my work-years in automotive at many tiers, including one of the Big 3. I have seen most of the supplier performance monitoring systems in place and how the ASN ties to the metrics. I am not saying that I fully agree or disagree with these detailed and comprehensive systems. They have their place depending on the product and supplier base being managed. What I am saying is that a supplier performance system employed by GM for example might be an over-kill for a company with 20 employees. My simplistic approach works well even in the automotive industry, although some SQA's don't like it. Of course I like to come back to them with a quote to implement a system to meet their specific requirements (you want it, you pay for it) then they reconsider their position.

K

KAMay

So I'm thinking that I'll go with a graph based format too then - perhaps a different bar for late deliveries, non-conforming products, damaged goods, shortages and wrong products. And over time if they go past a certain 'line' we'll put them up for review?

Thanks guys :agree1:

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin

So I'm thinking that I'll go with a graph based format too then - perhaps a different bar for late deliveries, non-conforming products, damaged goods, shortages and wrong products. And over time if they go past a certain 'line' we'll put them up for review?

Thanks guys :agree1:

Did you go through our File List that should be handy to you ? :)

Top Bottom