What is the Cost of six sigma certification?

michellemmm

Quest For Quality
A friend is trying to get six sigma certified. Her company is encouraging her to get her black belt, but refuses to pay. She has a yellow belt.
What is the course of action for her to take? How much does she need to invest?

Thank You.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
There are at least two avenues to pursue....this question will likely generate many responses....the two I suggest are:
1) ASQ - American Society for Quality
2) Any first rate university, will offer an on line SSBB course...

In both cases putting aside to text/projects/work...is the final certification project which must clearly demonstrate the real life results from the BB final project

I am a big proponent of this certification, as among many things it instills is structured problem solving, this too will elicit many responses
...both of the above are good options....costs will vary but can be established up front before committing

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
If the company is encouraging it but not paying for it I'd take the ASQ route - self study and take the SSGB exam. See if the company will at least cover study materials. $338 for ASQ members. hopefully nothing for study material if the company will buy them.
Then self study, do a project within the company, have the manager sign off that the project was complete, apply and take the ASQ SSBB exam. $428 for ASQ members, again hopefully nothing for study materials.

so, maybe $1000 if you have to buy your own study materials. +$100 per test if not an ASQ member - or $169 to join ASQ.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Scott, makes a great point, this may be the most cost effective route....a university route may be more costly....WRT Scott's "Demand Evidence & Think Critically", this is timely, and for me at least as a by product or I should say central to the whole SSBB learning and implementation process, one must become a critical thinker....there is so much pseudo science out and about, below a recent article from ABC (Australian Broadcast Company), drives this point home...worth the read

Why we fall for online pseudoscience – and how to stop

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
A friend is trying to get six sigma certified. Her company is encouraging her to get her black belt, but refuses to pay. She has a yellow belt.

Thank You.

For some SSBB programs, I thought you had to also do a project as part of the curriculum. If your friend is savvy, perhaps she can write the business case for the company to pay by offering that her SSBB project (and those that subsequently follow) will net savings in excess of what the program cost is.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
All, Roxanne is correct for my program there were as I recall 6-7 projects during the approx. 18 month period, quizzes intersperded a 3 hour final exam and a Final or Certification Project...a SSBB is a plus to any org, whether Manufacturing or Transactional, a word of caution some firms (for many educational courses) have a repayment requirement should the candidate complete the course the nleave the firm within a certain period of time...hope this helps

niki154

Registered

Thank You.
Six Sigma is a data-driven methodology that provides firms with apparatus and techniques to enhance the competence of their business procedures. The magnification in accomplishments and downturn in operational discrepancy leads to flaw reduction and betterment in the triple bottom line, workforce motivation, and quality of by-products, resources, and services. If you want to do a certification course then you may visit here for course fees and more details.

Six Sigma aims to give an unparalleled performance, high value and the most reliable services or products to its target customers. It is considered to be one of the most powerful Tool in Quality Management.

blackholequasar

The Cheerful Diabetic
FWIW most people see my Six Sigma greenbelt as an afterthought and don't really have a drive to want more out of it. So I've never achieved BB status and it hasn't helped or hindered me in searching for jobs in any way.

Top Bottom