Documented Information - Periodic Review of Documents? IATF 16949:2016 / ISO 9001:2015

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions
Hello guys quick question for IATF 16949:2016 / ISO 9001:2015 regarding documented information, does it matter if your document needs to be updated or not? Cause i can't find in the ISO Standard that not updated document is a findings? any thoughts? please i need an answer to this, been bothering me since it's our Internal Audit this coming week.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

AMIT BALLAL

Trusted Information Resource
Didn't understand your question fully. Trying to answer based on what I understood.

In IATF16949:2016 / ISO9001:2015, terms of Document & record changed to "Documented Information', the reason being whether record or document depends on context and how it is controlled by an organization. There is no requirement/need to change the title of your document/record to Documented information.

If you are asking about the updates in standard, documented information (document/record) required by these updated standards need to be available and compliance to be demonstrated during your audit.

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions
Didn't understand your question fully. Trying to answer based on what I understood.

In IATF16949:2016 / ISO9001:2015, terms of Document & record changed to "Documented Information', the reason being whether record or document depends on context and how it is controlled by an organization. There is no requirement/need to change the title of your document/record to Documented information.

If you are asking about the updates in standard, documented information (document/record) required by these updated standards need to be available and compliance to be demonstrated during your audit.
hmmmm thanks for your answer, ill give you an example ma'am/sir, here's the situation, you audit the person, and then saw that his/her work instruction was not updated, what will you do? are you going to call that out or not? because i can't find anything in the standard that the document Should be updated.

AMIT BALLAL

Trusted Information Resource
hmmmm thanks for your answer, ill give you an example ma'am/sir, here's the situation, you audit the person, and then saw that his/her work instruction was not updated, what will you do? are you going to call that out or not? because i can't find anything in the standard that the document Should be updated.
Which standard are you referring to? ISO9001 / IATF16949. If you are referring to IATF16949, there is a new requirement to include safety instructions in your work instructions. IMHO auditor would & should generally check whether the new/ revised requirements as per the revised standard are being met.

John Predmore

Quite Involved in Discussions
ISO9001 includes a clause on Control of Documented Information: 7.5.3.1 Documented information required by the QMS and by this International Standard shall be controlled to ensure: a. it is available and suitable for use, where and when it is needed; b. it is adequately protected (e.g., from loss of confidentiality, improper use, or loss of integrity). [emphasis added by me].

"Improper use" might describe use of outdated information. "Loss of integrity" might describe a system which fails to maintain accurate and up-to-date information.

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions
"Improper use" might describe use of outdated information. "Loss of integrity" might describe a system which fails to maintain accurate and up-to-date information.[/QUOTE]

well that makes sense sir, thank you for elaborating that one, especially the quoted one, i guess that is what im looking for, thank you very much sir.
godbless

brandieb1230

Involved In Discussions

If the work instruction was not updated I would write a finding against ISO:9001- 7.5.3.2- a or c
For the control of documented information, the organization shall address the following activities, as applicable:

A. distribution, access, retrieval and use;- the use of the document is not right- they are not following the directions the work instruction lists
B. control of changes (e.g. version control);- this is the most obvious finding in most situations that I have encountered..

Hope that helps :)

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions
If the work instruction was not updated I would write a finding against ISO:9001- 7.5.3.2- a or c
For the control of documented information, the organization shall address the following activities, as applicable:

A. distribution, access, retrieval and use;- the use of the document is not right- they are not following the directions the work instruction lists
B. control of changes (e.g. version control);- this is the most obvious finding in most situations that I have encountered..

Hope that helps :)

Good morning sir, what i mean by updated is that our company was founded year 2000 but there are work instruction that are outdated but the process is still the same, is that a findings? that's what i've been pointing about, if you find a document that's not updated, for example the work instruction was dated way back 2013, but no change in the process, still the same, do you still need to call that out? and i don't really see where in the standard.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
What is your definition of outdated?
Is the document accurate?
Does your document control procedure require you to review documents periodically?
You seem extremely worried if the documents are correct.

eule del ayre

Involved In Discussions
What is your definition of outdated?
Is the document accurate?
Does your document control procedure require you to review documents periodically?
You seem extremely worried if the documents are correct.
Thank you sir for your concern, nope i don't really mind, because i can't seem to find that i should really update my work instruction if the process were still the same, outdated sir out of date, the work instruction was revised last 2013 but still in use up to today, but my Lead Auditor call it out, because it is said to be outdated, and the document is accurate, yes it is included in the procedure that the documents need to review periodically, but does not mean to revise it, and it doesn't include there, i just can't find the right words in the standard that the documents should be updated. If the work instruction dated in 2013 but still accurate about the process itself, why does my team leader call it out as a Findings. I just can't comprehend sir, i was thought by our SGS trainer that the audit is to find compliance not the opposite, the non compliance itself will come out once the process to complying doesn't match right sir?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Missing routers/documented information Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K AS9100D Clause 7.5.2.a) - What is considered to be "documented information"? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q AS9120 7.5.3.2 Control of Documented Information - Audit Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
L VDA 1 Documented Information and Retention (new revision 4, August 2018) VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
P Retained Documented Information for Management Reviews ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
A How to Handle Documented Information in an online database for ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
E IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.1 - Documented information as evidence of fitness for purpose IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Documented Information Turtle Diagram IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Controlled Forms or documented requirements for records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
qualprod Documented actions and changes in the QMS by COVID 19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J ISO 17025 Documented Procedure for 6.2.5 - Determining competency ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
M Quality System Processes without Documented Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 39
C Significant Organizational Changes - Documented Responsibilities Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
B Documented process for type and extent of control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Documented problem solving and documented error-proofing - IATF 16949 10.2.3 & 10.2.4 Internal Auditing 7
Q Stage 1 audit observations - documented report? General Auditing Discussions 5
H Documented processes required by IATF 16949 section 4.4.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
H New IATF 16949 required Documented Processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S ISO 13485 Cl. 5.4.2 - Is Documented Quality Planning required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B IATF 16949 Cl. 7.3.2 - Documented Process (Effectiveness & Efficiency) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
R IATF requirement of Documented QMM incorporation of CSR's into the processes? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q Risk Based Thinking - Is a Documented Procedure required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S ISO9001:2015 Cl. 4.4.1 - What Processes Do I Need Documented ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S ISO 9001:2015 - Required Processes and required Documented Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M [Student] Documented Process vs Documented Procedure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A Documented Processes as per IATF16949 - Requirements for Turtle Diagrams IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R How to Control Videos as part of the QMS Documented Procedures and Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
A ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - Management Review Inputs must be Documented? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 15
N Must Bioburden Sampling Procedures be Documented? Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
W Documented Problem-Solving for Automotive IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ninja What is the most useless {real} documented procedure you've seen? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Q "Documented Procedure" Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 8
T Notification of affected parties of Updated Documented Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T AS9100C Processes which need to be documented AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
C AS9100 Requirement Definition - Defined vs. Documented AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
J Can the mandatory procedures of ISO 9001-2008 be documented within one procedure? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Recycling Procedure (ISO9001) - Do I need a documented process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C ISO 13485 - Documented Requirements for Risk Management ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M HACCP vs. ISO 22000 Documented Procedure requirements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
somashekar What are the ISO 13485 documented requirements for Risk Management? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
somashekar What documented procedure in this case ... ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
P What should be documented for Qualitative Test results for the FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
L Documented procedures requirements for AS9100C requirement 7.5.1 a) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Should the FSMS have a Documented Generic Procedure for Verification and Validation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S Are Records Forms which should be Documented? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
T Requirement for a Documented Process for the Review and Release of Product For Sale ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Q Core Process without a Documented Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
JoCam NADCAP AC7120 Rev A to B Documented Procedures Requirements Changes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Q Outsourced Process also shall be Documented? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P What is to be documented to fulfill the requirements of ?820.65 Traceability? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1