FMEA as a Confidential Document - PPAP Level 3 - Can the FMEA be hidden?

D

davidzhao

Good idea. And actually no such detailed information on FMEA in plastic injecting, vulcanizing field. It will be like from xx-xx seconds when set time. And for sure, it's valuable stuff when you figure out the times or other parameters definitely.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I would think there should be a confidentiality agreement between the customer and the supplier, although we know the cost of enforcing such an agreement. But...better than no agreement....:cool:

M

mwohlg

I know of some instances where a company's competitive edge is revealed in the process, not necessarily in the design. A previous employer of mine was in this category. Competitors could always buy our parts in service or aftermarket and tear down to reverse engineer them, but without knowing how it was processed they couldn't really duplicate the parts (they could take educated guesses and come pretty close). We did the same thing to their parts, we had an idea how they were made but weren't 100% sure. It was always fun getting a copy of one of their prints to quote (happened fairly regularly), but a copy of their PFMEA would have been invaluable.

I think it's fair to ask your customer if you can submit a version of the PFMEA that has the confidential info deleted or changed to XXXXX.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I know of some instances where a company's competitive edge is revealed in the process, not necessarily in the design. A previous employer of mine was in this category. Competitors could always buy our parts in service or aftermarket and tear down to reverse engineer them, but without knowing how it was processed they couldn't really duplicate the parts (they could take educated guesses and come pretty close). We did the same thing to their parts, we had an idea how they were made but weren't 100% sure. It was always fun getting a copy of one of their prints to quote (happened fairly regularly), but a copy of their PFMEA would have been invaluable.

I think it's fair to ask your customer if you can submit a version of the PFMEA that has the confidential info deleted or changed to XXXXX.

Hello! Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave::bigwave:

Thank you for your post. :agree1:

If the customer insists on reviewing the FMEA records, and the organization considers this information confidential, you can offer the Customer to view the FMEA documents on site. That happens and is not all that unusual.

Stijloor.

C

Carmine

In my experience we give to VW and Magneti Marelli the entire control plan, we don't give the D - P FMEA only the front page. We give the drawing of the assembly (the product that we sell) we don't give the drawing of componets.

SQ_Joe

Involved In Discussions
Yes, you must supply a DFMEA and/or a PFMEA. NO Questions about it!
Become inventive by using your document controlsystem to document TRUELY confidential processes. Customer can see them, but you are not required to provide a copy.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Hello! Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave::bigwave:

Thank you for your post. :agree1:

If the customer insists on reviewing the FMEA records, and the organization considers this information confidential, you can offer the Customer to view the FMEA documents on site. That happens and is not all that unusual.

Stijloor.

I have also seen some cases where the FMEA or control plan will reference a document that contains additional or confidential information, like a recipe or process sheet. This is fairly common for several reasons, and that secondary sheet can be held in confidentiality. Whatever you and the customer can agree on..... pretty sure Coca Cola wouldn’t put their secret recipe on a control plan if they used one.

SQ_Joe

Involved In Discussions
FMEAs are an excellent method of self-protection.
Always provide a FMEA (Product and Process, if responsible.)
There are many ways not to provide sensitive or proprietary information.
Hire a good FMEA facilitator-consultant. He will train you in those methods.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
If the customer insists on reviewing the FMEA records, and the organization considers this information confidential, you can offer the Customer to view the FMEA documents on site.
This is what I have typically seen re: both FMEAs and control plans with the addition of not allowing any note taking.

Top Bottom