Inspection and Work order process

rtanner

Registered
Help,

So Where I work they have been using the prints to document their inspection results - forever. I had never seen since coming here. I want to create a simplified Inspection approach where CNC only measures what is necessary (affected by their process) and Weld only inspects what is affected by their process.

1) What approach has any here taken? Mind you all the operators are self taught - hired straight off the street with no prior experience; albeit 20 to 30 here only.

There is no true Work order/traveler process. we have the ability to create Line Item Work Orders to follow each process with a sign-off - yet this would be a major undertaking.

2) Start small go big? Any other approach to improve the ability to truly follow the process?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I don't understand your question. What problem are you trying to solve?

rtanner

Registered
1) We want to establish "Inspection at the source". Most of the operators have never been required to document their Inspection results. I do not want to hand them a print of 50 dimensions - where only 10 of those 50 are dimensions their operation affects. What is the typical approach and or best practice when it comes to machined parts and welded parts inspection? They need to get in a habit of verifying their own work, but not be held up from producing as well.

2) We have over 8k items we produced and/or have produced over time. the operations is 1994 mentality when approaching documentation and traceability. (slightly improved since I started revamping the process 6 months ago). A Work Order/Traveler does not go out to the floor. The Production Manager gets the WO in his office and then prints out the prints and gives to the operator to produce said product. - I want to improve this process, mainly due to traceability issues. What Best practices are there that I could consider?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Maybe....bubble the print, attach a simple numbered sheet and ask them to record the data for the 10 items they affect.

rtanner

Registered
Maybe....bubble the print, attach a simple numbered sheet and ask them to record the data for the 10 items they affect.
I knew my first question was a no brainer - only wanted to see if there were other approaches.

Any ideas on the second question?

We use a notebook for a traveler, with pages for each operation, welding, bending, stamping, etc. Each person doing the work records the dimensions of the first piece and every "x" piece they do directly on the print page of the traveler, but only for the operation they do. Then they pass to book to the next operation. Sometimes, two or more operations has to share the book, but its not really an issue since they are not using it constantly, only every "x" pieces, which can be differenty depending on teh department and how much variation can creep in between quantities of parts produced, for example, parts going through a CNC milling process may need less frequent inspection than a bending operation done manually on each piece.

rtanner

Registered
We use a notebook for a traveler, with pages for each operation, welding, bending, stamping, etc. Each person doing the work records the dimensions of the first piece and every "x" piece they do directly on the print page of the traveler, but only for the operation they do. Then they pass to book to the next operation. Sometimes, two or more operations has to share the book, but its not really an issue since they are not using it constantly, only every "x" pieces, which can be differenty depending on teh department and how much variation can creep in between quantities of parts produced, for example, parts going through a CNC milling process may need less frequent inspection than a bending operation done manually on each piece.

I like the log concept - however, how do you deal with traceability and data analysis for trends and improvement?

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
1) We want to establish "Inspection at the source". Most of the operators have never been required to document their Inspection results. I do not want to hand them a print of 50 dimensions - where only 10 of those 50 are dimensions their operation affects. What is the typical approach and or best practice when it comes to machined parts and welded parts inspection? They need to get in a habit of verifying their own work, but not be held up from producing as well.

2) We have over 8k items we produced and/or have produced over time. the operations is 1994 mentality when approaching documentation and traceability. (slightly improved since I started revamping the process 6 months ago). A Work Order/Traveler does not go out to the floor. The Production Manager gets the WO in his office and then prints out the prints and gives to the operator to produce said product. - I want to improve this process, mainly due to traceability issues. What Best practices are there that I could consider?

Define what are the most critical characteristics to inspect based on product drawing and create an inspection sheet for them. You define how many/ when/ who/ how to inspect/ with what and etc. Use as an input lessons learned, PFMEA, recent failures and etc. What about customer requirements, what your customers or company procedures require to inspect at minimum ? Use the output of your Control Plan as Input for creating inspection standards and sheets and work instructions.

Felony Melony

Registered
I worked at a CNC place and utilized Discus to balloon prints, then you assign the balloons to specific inspection reports for an operation. Discus helps to streamline the process of breaking down the entire print and separating out the applicative checks by operations. I understand your issue, where I work now, prints are not released to production. We break down each step on work instructions. But this does add time to clerical, and you will need support in revising and controlling the work instructions.

Top Bottom