Microsoft Access APQP type database for Process Flow, FMEA, Control Plan, etc.

M

Matt W - 2009

Re: Microsoft Access - APQP type database for process flow, fmea, control plan, etc.

Now I have to confess that I’m not an active user of these forums, but I came across this thread some time ago when researching using Access to create an APQP database and having revisited it since then and seeing the most recent post on the subject I thought I'd register on the forum to share my experiences.

From the outset as I should make it clear that I’m not an Access programmer, or for that matter have any kind of formal Access training, I’m a Project Manager for an engineering business and I’m not posting this to sell my database (or give it away for that matter!). But simply to answer Manix's question, yes, it is possible to use Access as a database for APQP/PPAP/Project Management and do so very successfully.

About 3 years ago the company I work for was working towards Q1 accreditation, the big problem was how we controlled and managed our PPAP process, due mainly to the large number of components and suppliers involved. It was decided that a database needed and I was tasked with selecting a suitable one for the business. During the course of my research I found that the majority of products on the market just weren't suitable for my needs, they either cost too much, or they had dozens of features I didn't need and none of the ones I did, they didn't work the way I wanted them to or were just plain too complicated. So the decision was taken that we should develop our own database and being the person with the most knowledge of Access I was given the task.

The database initially took about 2 weeks to develop from scratch, it wasn’t perfect by any means, but it was a good start and it has continued to develop over time and it’s now a very solid and reliable database, even in a multi-user environment. The database covers the following aspects of the APQP/PPAP process (not an exhaustive list); Bill of Materials, PPAP and IMDS status of child parts (including an annual revalidation timetable), Process Flow, Control Plans (linked to the Process Flow), PFMEA (again linked to the Process Flow), OEE and the PSW front sheet. The likes of the OEE and PSW can be exported to Excel spreadsheets, as many customers want these documents in their own Excel format rather than using the standard AIAG ones.

Admittedly not being an Access programmer the database may not be written as an expert would do it, but being an engineer and understanding how the various bit of information are used is a great advantage and allows a greater degree of freedom. I feel the main benefit though of developing your own database is the flexibility it gives you of being able to tailor a database to the way your business works. I’ve attached a couple of screenshots for information.

Attachments

• PFlow.JPG
    PFlow.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 1,285
  • CPlan.JPG
    CPlan.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 1,074

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Microsoft Access - APQP type database for process flow, fmea, control plan, etc.

Thanks Matt W and welcome to the cove. I am glad my post prompted you to register and share your exeprience. Your DB looks very, VERY similar to the sort thing I would like to acheive. You seem to be in the same position I am currently, Projects Manager looking for a way to stream line our APQP projects. I too am not an Access programmer but I have learnt quite a bit over the last year or so and have produced a Tooling Database, a Material Reporting Portal (to monitor and record IMDS and RoHS compliance of all of our products) and I am also currently working on a Customer Complaints, Non-Conformance and Customer Return database, all using Access.

I agree that whenever I start work on these sorts of projects, I find that current commercially available packages just don't do what I want them too and/or are overkill and thus overpriced!

Your input and screenshots have given me some good ideas as to how I maybe able to acheive a more streamlined and organised approach to managing data.

I will endeavour to try and develop something, though 2 weeks is an optimistic target, I will post my experiences here!

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

How is this going, Manix? I am also very interested in such a tool. I regret to say I am a noob with Access and VB, thus no help in designing such a database database.

Manix

Get Involved!!!

How is this going, Manix? I am also very interested in such a tool. I regret to say I am a noob with Access and VB, thus no help in designing such a database database.

Hi Jennifer, thanks for your interest. Sorry, nothing yet, as I have been pulled away on other things! I am still rounding off the Concern Database (NCM, Cust Complaints, Cust Rtns & Audit findings) and will try and publish some output from that in the near future.

I will produce an APQP type database and I PROMISE to publish some of my ideas here. Watch this space. You never know, you may have just spurred me on to get on with it!!!!

J

jacko

Hi Jennifer, thanks for your interest. Sorry, nothing yet, as I have been pulled away on other things! I am still rounding off the Concern Database (NCM, Cust Complaints, Cust Rtns & Audit findings) and will try and publish some output from that in the near future.

I will produce an APQP type database and I PROMISE to publish some of my ideas here. Watch this space. You never know, you may have just spurred me on to get on with it!!!!

Any luck with that yet? I wish I had time to develop something like that. Your screenshots look good to me.

Manix

Get Involved!!!

Any luck with that yet? I wish I had time to develop something like that. Your screenshots look good to me.

Sorry not as yet. I have been very busy with other things over the last few months. I will of course try to keep this thread upto date with any updates I do have.

D

dyfhid

> Material Reporting Portal (to monitor and record IMDS and RoHS compliance of all of our products)

I have been assigned the task of writing a RoHS Database for my firm, a marine electronics manufacturer. I have written several datasbe and digital dashboards for the company thus far. I am the Supplier Quality Tech, and have been maintaining the RoHS Certs received from Suppliers as part of the First Article Process. With the changes coming down the pike for RoHS and WEEE my boss has decided that I should be electronically maintaining the RoHS documentation.

We are also implenting a requirement of component level test results for RoHS, and I need to include that. We are in the process of scanning all teh paper certs we have received thus far and I am thinking that the database should include links to the scans, at a minimum, but I was looking for other folks who may have already gotten such a thing done to look for ideas, when I came across teh revival of this thread, and the mention quoted above of the Material Reporting Portal.

I wonder if it is possible to post screenshots to glean ideas from?

hansin

Starting to get Involved

Now I have to confess that I’m not an active user of these forums, but I came across this thread some time ago when researching using Access to create an APQP database and having revisited it since then and seeing the most recent post on the subject I thought I'd register on the forum to share my experiences....
Can i share with it?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Assuming they are stripped of company specific markings and information, those of you who have a database you are willing to share -- It will be VERY much apreciated!

Marc

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Assuming they are stripped of company specific markings and information, those of you who have a database you are willing to share -- It will be VERY much apreciated!

Marc

Absolutely. This would help generate ideas and aid others. This is how I have learnt databasing so far, by looking at others DBs and learning how they have developed functionality etc....

Top Bottom