New version of OHSAS 18001

C

Chantelle Webber

Re: OHSAS 18001 New version???

Hi Randy

I'm a little new to this site - so i probably clicked in the wrong place.

To the point, we already have 18001:1999 and we're currently working towards implementing 18001:2007. We've updated processes to included the amendments that the new "standard" requires. Do you (or anyone reading this post) know where i could find a self audit system checklist to ensure that our system conforms to the standard. We've done 2 system audits to the "standard", but would like to have a different view.

We are also going to be audited by our external auditors in February '09 to the new requirements and would just like to be prepared.

Randy

Super Moderator
Yes, I do know where you can get one and you already have it....

Use 18001:2007 itself as your checklist, that's all I ever do.

Where the standard says..."the organization shall...", just change it "have we...?"

Do it for every requirement.

Randy

Super Moderator
That is the way I do it as well as everybody I work with.

Once you have do that initial audit then performan audit just using your procedures and make sure you're doing what you stated you would do and are achieving the results you planned to achieve.

Using this method you are addressing the "3 dimensions" required for an effective system audit...Intent (design/planning), implementation (operational), and effectiveness.

C

Chantelle Webber

I'll remember to do that.

Just a question regarding the layout of procedures. Something about writing procedures - would you say that it is important that on each procedure there needs to be reference to the legal requirements? At the moment there are long lists of all the legal & other requirements to each procedure - my argument is that - we have a legal register, couldn't a reference be made to the legal register? Would that be acceptable practice?

Auditors and trainers seem to drill us with this. Not only that - makes the person reading the procedure fall asleep before getting to the methods.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I don't know if I should do this...but here it is.
The first document listed is the actual OHSAS 18001 standard. So, that site seems to facilitate the piracy of intelectual property. I don't think the Cove should promote it.
Other documents listed, such as presentations and papers, don't seem to be protected by copyright. So, those would be ok to share.

Henria

OSH Officer
Hi!

The Randy’s answer to Chantelle (11th Nov. 2008 – how to create a self-service to that the system checklist ?) is with must simple and very relevant. I would have answered the same solution because I use myself this “natural” type of checklist, in particular to control légal conformity of an entity in this field.

But nobody answers to the other Chantelle’s question (12th Nov. 2008 - would you say that it is important that on each procedure there needs to be reference to the legal requirements ?). My answer / my opinion and according to my experiment : NO, it’s useless and rather tiresome. On the other hand any OHSMS procedure must or cannot contain contrary provisions with the legal H&S requirements…!

In addition, I share the concern of Sidney about the quoted site which seems to facilitate the piracy off the OHSMS national british standard or an other one, and the need to avoid promoting such sites. But no problem to obtain, free and legality, the international reference frame ILO-OSH 2001, directly on the site of the organization which produced it and diffuses it: https://www.ilo.org/public/english/protection/safework/
Or more precisely : https://www.ilo.org/public/english/protection/safework/managmnt/guide.htm

Best regards.

S

samsung

I'll remember to do that.

Just a question regarding the layout of procedures. Something about writing procedures - would you say that it is important that on each procedure there needs to be reference to the legal requirements? At the moment there are long lists of all the legal & other requirements to each procedure - my argument is that - we have a legal register, couldn't a reference be made to the legal register? Would that be acceptable practice?

Auditors and trainers seem to drill us with this. Not only that - makes the person reading the procedure fall asleep before getting to the methods.

IMO instead of referencing the procedures (written by yourself, as I suppose) in the legal register, why don't you reference the relevant pages of the law itself which much be having all the guidance/ instructions to what you should be or shouldn't be doing to meet the particular legal requirement(s).

e.g. One of the provisions of the permit applicable to your activities can be related to treating the waste water before it can be discharged into the environment. This requirement must have been derived from a federal/regional/local or any other legislation which does prescribe how to treat this waste water and to what norms the final effluent must conform to before it is discharged.

Why you need to document separate procedures/ work instructions, in particular, whilst you CANNOT add / subtract anything that's legally mandated ? As Hanria has rightly said "OHSMS procedure must or cannot contain contrary provisions with the legal H&S requirements" So, IMO, one of the better ways of doing it is to make direct references to the relevant pages (and/or Section # etc.) of the legislation as applicable to your activities/ operations and it should, as I suppose, be acceptable to your registrars as well to the persons who use the documents.

Top Bottom