System FMEA, ever do that? and how?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Markasmith said:
still a no go. "The file is not in a recognizable format."

If you were just clicking on it to open it (the .xls file you're trying to open), try downloading it first (in IE, right click, select Save File As...; Save Link As in Firefox) then try opening it. If the Excel viewer won't open it, it's getting corrupted. Conversely, if your trouble happens when you use the above procedure, try opening it directly.

M

Michael Walmsley

This is an Excel 2002 file.
There are no macro's.
?????????????

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Michael Walmsley said:
This is an Excel 2002 file.
There are no macro's.
?????????????

It's being corrupted in the transfer process, a common occurrence when a file is opened directly from a web link.

Q

qualitytrec

Michael,
can you email me your file.

All, more important to me than my viewing the file is the answer to where do I get the info from for the System FMEA. What kind of info is in the system FMEA. Would it based on the infrastructure (electricity, lighting, compresor, etc...) and other things that we consider contigencies for or is it based on things like communication of information and data and issues related to advanced planning?

Mark

M

Michael Walmsley

Will send file. The info in the system FMEA is essentially product related.
You are basically looking to cover the customer wants and needs , regulatory issues , interface issues and potential misuse issues from a product standpoint.

The PFMEA will address (or should) in part address plant equipment issues.

Mike

Q

qualitytrec

Most of the things you are talking about I have usually dealt with in my PFMEA. I have also included the items that feed into the process (electric, air, environment, customer requirements, safety, etc...) when it seemed appropriate. I am just trying to figure out if a SFMEA is something of benefit and what it covers so that I can make an intelligent decision on how to use it or if I am just going to ignore it.
Someone was just telling me they thought a system FMEA would be for a system that feeds the main processes for example a Manufacturing Batch Record System, or a Procurement System. It is an interesting thought at least to apply this discipline in this way. Anybody have more feedback on this?

Mark

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Markasmith said:
Most of the things you are talking about I have usually dealt with in my PFMEA. I have also included the items that feed into the process (electric, air, environment, customer requirements, safety, etc...) when it seemed appropriate. I am just trying to figure out if a SFMEA is something of benefit and what it covers so that I can make an intelligent decision on how to use it or if I am just going to ignore it.
Someone was just telling me they thought a system FMEA would be for a system that feeds the main processes for example a Manufacturing Batch Record System, or a Procurement System. It is an interesting thought at least to apply this discipline in this way. Anybody have more feedback on this?

Mark

There is no universally accepted definition of what a system FMEA is, as far as I know. If you're not sure whether you need one or not, and you feel like you've covered all the relevant issues in your PFMEA, you don't need one. Not only that, but the definition of "process" can be expanded as you see fit, so as to include almost anything you want it to include.

Q

qualitytrec

Okay found an answer. I just did not read far enough (ever had that happen or am I the only one). In the AIAG FMEA 3rd ed. Appendix F pg 65 explains it a little. It is a type of design FMEA. I never saw this on any of the FMEA's I have ever had to deal with but the example in the book shows System, subsystem, and component level assemblies. My paradigm is starting to shift and it is becoming clearer. Thanks Michael and others.

Mark

Top Bottom