In a Print Shop the Products are Special Processes?

Q

QAMTY

Hi guys

I?ve heard that Painting is a special process.
Question: A Print shop business develops special processes?
The jobs done normally are the next:

To create manuals including, paper and the printing, to create labels on paper, also all kind of advertising on paper (roll and sheets).
offset,screen and digital printing

If the answer is yes, could you explain why?

Please share your experiences

My question came up regarding 7.5.2 Validation process

My best Regards

AndyN

Moved On
Hi guys

To create manuals including, paper and the printing, to create labels on paper, also all kind of advertising on paper (roll and sheets).

My best Regards

No, printing isn't a special process. You aren't "sticking" anything together. You can inspect the print and check density with a densitometer - all printers do that on a print run. In Bindery, you are, so THAT part of a print shop can be considered a special process (but not all print shops do bindery) - my experience? Many years in printing/printing related industries - hot metal through to DTP.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Andyn

2 points
Point 1
Normally when we do labels, we print on labels, and labels have some glue for the sticking on the paper, then we cut labels and deliver them to cliente.

Is that the sticking process you mean? or when labels are sticked on any surface

Pont 2

In the case that some print shops have Bindery, what part is special process?

Thanks

AndyN

Moved On
Thanks Andyn

2 points
Point 1
Normally when we do labels, we print on labels, and labels have some glue for the sticking on the paper, then we cut labels and deliver them to cliente.

Is that the sticking process you mean? or when labels are sticked on any surface

Pont 2

In the case that some print shops have Bindery, what part is special process?

Thanks

Point 1 - are you just printing the labels and the customer sticks them to something? If you only print, you will want to ensure the quality of the labels is good, but the client is doing the application - so not your responsibility.

Point 2 - In a bindery, there's often gluing of a cover onto the inside sheets. The gluing of the cover would be a special process.

Q

QAMTY

Andyn
In point 1, yes we only print, even if my responsibiity ends in the delivery to client
then how can we ensure the product and its final use is ok , if I may have some responsibility in the quality of the glue and the client in the sticking process.
How to define the scope? because it could be to produce the labels ensuring that they are ok (printing and paper) and that?s all, but how to manage the quality of glue or the process of sticking (side of client).

Thanks for your valuable comments

Regards

N

Northwoods

Hoping I understand what you are looking for. I have 35 years in printing & publishing & currently auditing internal Quality Checks (QCs) in each dept of a 40" commercial print shop.

1st validation of customer requirements is matching what the customer wants & what was quoted. Prepress setups customers design/art and file is prepared for customer proof. Either a soft proof (.pdf - not for color), hi-res hard proof which is calibrated to actual color (G7 or SWOP) and a low-res proof (if applicable) constructed which represents final look product. Proof is sent to customer for final approval. What they see is what they get!:yes:

If color is priority, QCs, densities, curves etc are set-up so it is exactly matched in plating and printing (presses) and matches final customer's approved proof.

Once paper/printing is on press-a predetermined amount of pull slips, color oks, rule up sheets, samples are saved at different intervals throughout press run and each bindery process. They are saved for a predetermined time period (job billed/paid) to confirm job met customers expectations in case of any future customer questions or concerns. Samples of paper & labels can also be saved if applicable.

Hope that helps. :2cents:

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Hi guys

My best Regards

The definition in ISO 9000:2005 ?3.4.1 note 3 might help. A "special process" is "a process where the conformity of the resulting product cannot be readily or economically verified."

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
The definition in ISO 9000:2005 ?3.4.1 note 3 might help. A "special process" is "a process where the conformity of the resulting product cannot be readily or economically verified."

In printing, most processes and activities can be inspected, so it would not apply to those. But, the key is, results must be validated.

N

Northwoods

I agree 100% with Helmut. Every step & machine process is inspected, confirmed, signed off & samples saved. This confirms every step matches customer expectations and satisfaction.

Current print shop their machine are either computerized internally for calibration & validation. If not, there are detail manual maintenance, time, detailed logs. Past problems/issues forces a company to keep detailed reports/info.

If it is a paper issue, then there is a separate process to file claims or machine down time with the paper mill/merchant.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Northwood
Ok, everything can be inspected before the delivery to client.
printing and paper are ok, but the sticking process?.
How to define the scope of the product, I mean if the sticking process is not inspected internally, how can we ensure if the glue has the right quality?

Thanks for your feedback

Top Bottom