Registrar Auditor's Candid Remarks - Should I report him to his office?

P

Peaches

Over lunch, during our Annual Systems Audit, our Auditor indicated to me that he would not recommend my QA Supervisor if he was looking for another job (Our company is planning to shutdown in the next year or so). He went on to "rate" my co-workers in other departments that he met during the audit. Telling me he wouldn't hire some of them if it was up to him. I take exception to what he said, but didn't say anything to him. Should I contact his office pointing out how unprofessional he was or am I being too critical and he is entitled to his opinion?

P

phloQS

Personally I do not like blaming people when I did not talk to them about the issue before. Theoretically everything seen during an audit has to be kept in secret, so you should blame him, when you got any information that he told something abourt employees of your company. That is a no go for auditors. If he is asked something about your company by other clients there is just one answer: "No comment!". In practise there will always be ways like "in gereral I would not hire employees of a company which just closed".
But back to matter. Ask him why this is his opinion and if he really wants to tell anybody else his opinion. If the last question is answered with a "yes", ask him if he knows that he is not allwoed to do so. If you than have the feeling that he will do so, go to your registrar and tell them the issue. Maybe an e-mail where he shows his thoughts and willing to talk about it would be great. You could take this to proof your issue at the registrar.

Regards

phloQS

harry

Trusted Information Resource
To me, a remark made in private is 'private'. You may make your own judgement about the character of this person but to report his private comments to his employer doesn't make you look good either.

S

silentrunning

If you are going to be looking for a job "in a year or so", I wouldn't burn any bridges by reporting him. You never know what lies down the road. This fellow may be the auditor at a company you apply to. Just count the experience as a life lesson and move on.

A

amit_rd

We can never guarantee that we understand everything exactly as it was told by someone! Think it this way that probably he just wanted to impress you by showing you his skills about assessing people!

I agree with Harry! A word said in private is not to be made public - But if you still feel disturbed about it, talk to him directly and tell him politely that you did not appreciate it as you would not appreciate anybody talking about him behind his back!

Even an auditor deserves a second chance my friend:)

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Over lunch, during our Annual Systems Audit, our Auditor indicated to me that he would not recommend my QA Supervisor if he was looking for another job (Our company is planning to shutdown in the next year or so). He went on to "rate" my co-workers in other departments that he met during the audit. Telling me he wouldn't hire some of them if it was up to him. I take exception to what he said, but didn't say anything to him. Should I contact his office pointing out how unprofessional he was or am I being too critical and he is entitled to his opinion?

I would not report him for acting stupidly. He said it during lunch.
Registrars often ask customers to respond to a survey.
You can apply the appropriate rating.

S

Sorin

First of all I really do not take that as a private conversation. It was during an audit. It's irrelevant that it was during lunch.
Now, do I consider the auditor to be unprofessional and a total jerk? Yep...it looks like...Also, it looks like the guy was on a power trip. Could be that he was quite frustrated with his professional position.
Report him?...most probably not. However, I would not keep him in my professional network.

Randy

Super Moderator
During lunch or not, personal comments about people are out of bounds and unprofessional. But, apparently there was a level of trust and openess the auditor felt he had with you so you have to ask yourself a question...Do I betray that misguided trust, and if I do, what is there to gain from it?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

I would let it pass. I saw an instance once where an auditor, in a closing meeting, remarked that an indivdual he spoke with seemed confused and unprepared. It was mentioned more or less in passing, but the minute the auditor was out of the building the person in question was summarily terminated. This was a hugely wrong thing to do, but you never know what effect an auditor's comments might have, and I don't see anything to be gained at this point from making an issue of it.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I would let it pass. I saw an instance once where an auditor, in a closing meeting, remarked that an indivdual he spoke with seemed confused and unprepared. It was mentioned more or less in passing, but the minute the auditor was out of the building the person in question was summarily terminated. This was a hugely wrong thing to do, but you never know what effect an auditor's comments might have, and I don't see anything to be gained at this point from making an issue of it.
I would feel a rock in my stomach if someone had been fired on account of something I said. :mg:

I have also listened to a co-auditor go on and on saying things that I was deeply dismayed with - but it was political. He has learned to change the subject if he goes on for a long time and I don't offer anything at all to the conversation - I have been known to take care of it myself by looking around and offering, "Gosh, do you think it's going to rain during your trip home?" or something equally lame.

Lunchtimes are supposed to be "down time" but auditors should still be on good behavior. Still, this was not the audit so I would not rate him based on this breach of etiquette. I would, however support asking for a different auditor next time... which I am sorry to note you probably won't have the opportunity to do. :(
:2cents:

Top Bottom