Significant Characteristics (SC) to Control Plan

A

Annaq

Hi,
I´m a new member, but have not been able to find the answer to my question in any previous thread.

We are having a discussion as to what should be included in the Control Plan from the P-FMEA processes. When it comes to Critical Characteristics (CC) all issues will be included even if it is controlled as fool proof. But we have not come to an agreement on how to handle Significant Characteristics (SC). I will give you an example.

When I first create the PFMEA I rate an item as a SC and it should be included in the Control Plan. During the development process I implement a Poka Yoke solution that decrease the occurance. If the PFMEA is updated the item is no longer a SC (as long as the Poka Yoke is in plance).
Should this item remain in the Control Plan?

antoine.dias

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi, Welcome to the cove.

IMHO, Yes it should remain in the control plan as you should have control over the poka yoke situation in your process ( e.g. regular testing if the poka yoke works as foreseen )

In some companies I visit the poka yoke situations are tested every start of each shift and of course this is mentioned in their control plan.

Best regards,

Antoine

B

bayoumy elyan

hi
i am a production manger from egypt we use efqm methodolgy in our process the defination of sc related to customer not related to process so the best tools to identify sc is QFD tool to translate voc voice of customer to ctqs critical to quality parameters but pfmea define the most critical process related to severity and occurence and detection not related to customer

T

tbsiva

SC is related to product/process charateristics. For ex: If dimension 8.0 is classified as SC in preliminary FMEA and the effect of the non confirmance is "Noise". Now, you have implemented a pokayoke, because of which occurence has become 1. Still, the effect (Noise) remains same if dimension 8 is not maintained.

So it needs to be addressed in Control plan, may be you can relax somehow on the control methods... Like Inspection once in 8 hours rather than once in a hour....

Pl. remember classification of SC depends on the effect the potential failure is going to cause but not on the control methods implemented.

C

Catallina

Good evening,:)

my question maybe looks a nonsense but...I need an answer, please. I'm stil beginner in FMEA...:confused:

I read in FMEA Manual about special characteristics classification that they could be: critical, key, major, significat.

So, my question is: in FMEA or Control Plan a characteristic (with 8 for Severity) is possible to be named only as "special characteristic"? Or we must classify it according to one of the four mentioned characteristics?

I need to understand if "special" could be used for a characteristic or is only generic term for all of 4 characteristic?

Thank you!

S

shetheri

In response to Catallina,

You are correct that the term "special" characteristic is in reference to the four categories. Therefore, the term "special" is all inclusive and is not, per se, a characteristic classification itself.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
In response to Catallina,

You are correct that the term "special" characteristic is in reference to the four categories. Therefore, the term "special" is all inclusive and is not, per se, a characteristic classification itself.

Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave: :bigwave:

I saw on your profile that you are a Ford STA...

For the benefit of our Members, could you provide specific examples of the "Four Categories of Special Characteristics."

Thank you.

Stijloor, Forum Moderator.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Good evening,:)

my question maybe looks a nonsense but...I need an answer, please. I'm stil beginner in FMEA...:confused:

I read in FMEA Manual about special characteristics classification that they could be: critical, key, major, significat.

So, my question is: in FMEA or Control Plan a characteristic (with 8 for Severity) is possible to be named only as "special characteristic"? Or we must classify it according to one of the four mentioned characteristics?

I need to understand if "special" could be used for a characteristic or is only generic term for all of 4 characteristic?

Thank you!

If your customer requires the use of the four characteristics as defined in the FMEA manual, then that's what you have to do. On the other hand, if there are no customer constraints, you can call special characteristics whatever you want to call them, including "special characteristics."

S

shetheri

By definition:

"Special Characteristic"-Generic, no designation
Special Characteristics are those product or process characteristics
that affect vehicle or process safety, compliance with government
regulations, or customer satisfaction, and for which specific actions are
required to ensure products will meet all engineering requirements as
well as requirements for operator safety.

Four categories of "Special Characteristics"

1) Critical - (FMEA Severity 9 & 10)
Critical Characteristics (CC) are those product parameters and requirements that can affect compliance with government regulation or safe vehicle/product function, and require special actions or controls that must be listed on a Control Plan.

2) Operator Safety - (FMEA Severity 9 or 10)
Operator Safety (OS) characteristics are related to parameters that do not affect the product but may have an impact on the safety or governmental regulations applicable for the process operation, e.g., Occupational Safety and Health Administration [OSHA] requirements, Health and Safety Specifications. This is a hazard for in-plant operators. These characteristics should be included on a safety signoff.

3) Significant - (FMEA Severity 5-8 & Occurance 4-10)
Significant Characteristics (SC) are those product parameters and requirements that are important for customer satisfaction and for which Quality Planning actions must be addressed on a Control Plan.

4) High Impact - (FMEA Severity 5-8 & Occurance 4-10)
High Impact Characteristics (HI) are related to parameters that severely affect the operation of the process or subsequent operations if they are outside of the specification tolerance.

sharonmynhardt

Starting to get Involved
By definition:

"Special Characteristic"-Generic, no designation
Special Characteristics are those product or process characteristics
that affect vehicle or process safety, compliance with government
regulations, or customer satisfaction, and for which specific actions are
required to ensure products will meet all engineering requirements as
well as requirements for operator safety.

Four categories of "Special Characteristics"

1) Critical - (FMEA Severity 9 & 10)
Critical Characteristics (CC) are those product parameters and requirements that can affect compliance with government regulation or safe vehicle/product function, and require special actions or controls that must be listed on a Control Plan.

2) Operator Safety - (FMEA Severity 9 or 10)
Operator Safety (OS) characteristics are related to parameters that do not affect the product but may have an impact on the safety or governmental regulations applicable for the process operation, e.g., Occupational Safety and Health Administration [OSHA] requirements, Health and Safety Specifications. This is a hazard for in-plant operators. These characteristics should be included on a safety signoff.

3) Significant - (FMEA Severity 5-8 & Occurance 4-10)
Significant Characteristics (SC) are those product parameters and requirements that are important for customer satisfaction and for which Quality Planning actions must be addressed on a Control Plan.

4) High Impact - (FMEA Severity 5-8 & Occurance 4-10)

High Impact Characteristics (HI) are related to parameters that severely affect the operation of the process or subsequent operations if they are outside of the specification tolerance.
Thanks so much for this.

Top Bottom