Trainees, router cards, and AS9100D

Xrayjeremy

Registered
I see a trainee signing off a router card as "operation complete". Is this acceptable or do they need to complete their full training before signing off?
I am basing this potential finding off the AS9100D 7.2 Competence section.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
What part of the training is missing? It could be something totally unrelated to the job at hand. For example, as part of an onboarding program, a new hire might be required to undergo a corporate ethics session. That would not affect the trainee’s competence in machining a part.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I see a trainee signing off a router card as "operation complete". Is this acceptable or do they need to complete their full training before signing off?
I am basing this potential finding off the AS9100D 7.2 Competence section.
Life happens in real time. Very rarely does it go linear. I think you'll need to look at the facts and circumstances surrounding the situation -- i.e.; where they under direct supervision, competency required, etc.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
It really depends on your training practices and what competency is required for that process. Most on the job training is overseen by a competent trainer or, team lead, etc. Can you describe your training practices?

Xrayjeremy

Registered
The trainer was in the room, but how would I prove that? I can prove the trainers competence, but not sure how to prove the trainers oversight without the trainer signing the card in addition to the trainee.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Well signing doesn’t really prove anything - its way easy to falsify paper.
If your process allows the operator to sign off when on OJT with the trainer present - the operator is also certifying that they were compliant to that process…if training is essential (for a critical process) then you might want to ensure that the employee and supervisors know the rules and are willing to comply. If it isn’t critical the ease off.

There is a difference between a ticket for a broken taillight and a ticket for reckless and impaired driving

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
The trainer was in the room, but how would I prove that? I can prove the trainers competence, but not sure how to prove the trainers oversight without the trainer signing the card in addition to the trainee.
Ok, you're not going to court, are you? Was the operation complete? Yes. Did the person who is required to sign off, sign off? Yes. Why do you need any more than that?

Big Jim

Admin
It is really simple. Is the person competent to do the work he is signing off? Does he know that it has been completed properly? Is there some sort of competency record indicating you have determined he is competent for what he is doing?

That's all it takes.

Make it more difficult if you want, but therein lies a trap. The more complex you make things the more likely you are to create potential nonconformities.

pantxito

Registered
You can reference the specific router card in the training documentation for that operator for example, including relevant info such as the trainer present or whatever you need. In any case, I have mostly seen the double signature method to evidence the presence of both trainer and trainee.

Top Bottom