Trainees, router cards, and AS9100D

FRA 2 FDA

Involved In Discussions
A couple of non-aerospace (but judging from replies here probably relevant and maybe helpful) situations I've been part of...
1) Long ago as a tech at a biotech company, the rule was that as a trainee, each step in the batch record that had to be signed off was signed off by both the trainee and the trainer. I guess you could call that their way of proving that the trainer was present and probably also asserting that the step was completed properly.
2) The qualification process to be a railroad dispatcher is the most regimented I've ever experienced. As a trainee, you answer the calls and do all the talking and work, but it is IMPERATIVE that the qualified dispatcher you are working under is IN THE ROOM at all times. As such, you use your trainer's initials for all official things. But there was no requirement of proof.
In either case, there were definitely times when, toward the end of my training and I was pretty competent, the trainer was not always in the room with me. But these were two approaches that were used in heavily regulated industries that seemed to work as well as can be expected and passed the muster for whatever overseeing body that cared.

Top Bottom