The family lost a little friend today

S

somerqc

UPDATE

I don't have the final analysis; however, they are recommending a urine cytology. For those of you with no background, this is usually used when they can't get to a tumour/growth or it is very small and just wish to verify the "status" of the growth.

Basically, the furry guy does have a growth or tumour in his kidney area. Based on the reaction, it seems that it isn't major but is causing some kidney function issues.

I will be talking to the vet later this morning for further details regarding moving forward with the furry guy's health.

Keep your fingers crossed that maybe he just needs some surgery to possibly remove the tumour or the kidney and he will be good for few years to come.:cfingers:

John

CHRSCLLNGS

Involved In Discussions
So is the picture here of Candy, or your new dog?

BTW... I'm sure glad you did not go back into that house.

The picture is of the two new (obviously very dangerous) dogs, Stevie is the top dog with the white face, Maisey is all bridle and gets used as a pillow often!

BradM

Leader
Admin
Brad et al,

Back a couple of pages ago I mentioned my dog has an ultrasound appointment today. He is now at the vet waiting for his turn to get checked. His tummy will be shaved for it (he is a Keeshond).

There is some good news. When this all started he was 8lbs lighter than he had been for years (normally about 41-42lbs). He was down to 34 when this started. This morning - he weighed in a just under 38 pounds. He has gained almost 4 pounds in two weeks! :)

I will update when I know more.

John

UPDATE

I don't have the final analysis; however, they are recommending a urine cytology. For those of you with no background, this is usually used when they can't get to a tumour/growth or it is very small and just wish to verify the "status" of the growth.

Basically, the furry guy does have a growth or tumour in his kidney area. Based on the reaction, it seems that it isn't major but is causing some kidney function issues.

I will be talking to the vet later this morning for further details regarding moving forward with the furry guy's health.

Keep your fingers crossed that maybe he just needs some surgery to possibly remove the tumour or the kidney and he will be good for few years to come.:cfingers:

John

John, thank you for the updates. I've been thinking about your bud, and hoping it's not too serious.

The picture is of the two new (obviously very dangerous) dogs, Stevie is the top dog with the white face, Maisey is all bridle and gets used as a pillow often!

Isn't it great having a dog that kids can lay on, roll over, and such??:lol:

S

somerqc

UPDATE

We have received official diagnosis.

Unfortunately, it is not the best news. He has a gall bladder infection that is easily treatable with medication. However, he also has 2 cysts/tumours on his urinary bladder wall. One cyst looks benign, but the other is likely malignant and is located near the uteter making any surgery very difficult. Although we will be going forward with a urine cytology test to try to determine the stayus of the cyst (cancer or not) we are likely dealing with the last few weeks with the furry monster that got my wife and I together.

Thank you all for the support.

John

BradM

Leader
Admin
UPDATE

We have received official diagnosis.

Unfortunately, it is not the best news. He has a gall bladder infection that is easily treatable with medication. However, he also has 2 cysts/tumours on his urinary bladder wall. One cyst looks benign, but the other is likely malignant and is located near the uteter making any surgery very difficult. Although we will be going forward with a urine cytology test to try to determine the stayus of the cyst (cancer or not) we are likely dealing with the last few weeks with the furry monster that got my wife and I together.

Thank you all for the support.

John

John, I really feel for you. Let us know what happens. Maybe some of the stories here can help out some.

S

somerqc

How can I decide to put a face like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeshond

on the other side of the bridge (i.e. waiting for me later...if you know what I mean) :(

Again - thanks all. The vet said that he has likely been very sick for some time, but, dogs due to their instinct as a pack animal hide sickness VERY well.

I will be thinking of all the support here as I start to give the furry guy many more hugs and tummy rubs.

John

J

JaneB

Brad,

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of a 4-legged family member. I had lost my previous dog Rosie until she was almost 17. I'd had her since she was a tiny, tiny little puppy who fit on one of my hands.She was part of the family - always there. And when she was old (I"d never had an old dog before, lost a couple to accidents alas), we got very attuned to each other and she needed rather more looking after as she lost some hearing and most of her sight.

She got suddently very ill - it turned out to be an aggressive cancer and I had to decide on the spot (once diagnosed) to have her put down to prevent any further suffering. It was horrible, but at least we can stop them suffering and give them a peaceful death (unlike people, but I won't go there).

My brother said, oh that must leave a Rosie-sized hole in your life. He was right - it did. I missed her dreadfully for quite some time - I still miss her in some ways as she ws such a special dog for me.

Some people will say 'get another one right away', others will say wait and yet others decide no more. It's whatever is right for you. I spent almost 2 years without a dog before I finally succumbed, but it felt right for me at the time. I love having a dog in my life, but losing them is part of the 'price' we pay, I guess. I am soooo sorry.

John,

I'm really sorry to hear your news too. My heart goes out to you too.

J

JaneB

How can I decide to put a face like this ...
on the other side of the bridge

When the time really does come, with enormous difficulty and much sadness and with plenty of tears and grief. But you know when the time comes. And what makes it 'easy' (relative term of course meaning as easy as is possible in such a horrible situation) is knowing you are ending the suffering. When Rosie came to her end, I knew. She went downhill very suddenly and very quickly, and to have hung onto her for any longer at that point have only prolonged her pain. I still miss her, but she did have a very long and very happy life.

S

somerqc

Thank you Jane, but, as my wife says "My brain tells me something, but my heart doesn't want to believe it".

R

ralphsulser

Our beloved Casey Lee passed away Tuesday, 4/21/09 at 5:50 PM, my wife Sharon and I are in mourning for him. He was only 9 years old. He was/is so much a part of our lives and the "center of our universe". His melanoma came back from remission stronger than ever and attacked his lymph system and even bone marrow so he could not produce any red blood cells. We spent 8 hours with him at the vet Monday the 20th, and he had an emergency transfusion and IV fluids, and a shot for clotting. His gums and tongue and ears were getting very white, and he had a slow bloody nose and stool. After the transfusion, he returned to pink again. We sat there with him on the floor 8 hours watching the IV drip after the transfusion, and got home around 6 pm. Then we took him home and stayed with him in the bed and got him some diapers and pads. He drank a lot often and ate well. We thought he was doing better and I called the vet at 9:30 am and told him he was doing better. Later he started having bloody bowel movements again and started getting white again. He go so weak he could not stand alone and started breathing fast and shallow, his pulse was up to 140 BPM. A friend from church stopped by the house and talked for a bit and prayed with us for Casey. She left about 5:30 pm. Sharon and I took pictures of each other with Casey while he was lying on the bed. We both had our hands on him trying to comfort him. He vomited, and had another bloody bowel movement and went unconscious, we heard his last breaths and I picked him up and he was limp. We took him to the bathroom and put him in the tub and gave him a bath and dried him. We called a funeral home in Dillon that does pet cremations and took him over there about 8 PM. We ordered a nice urn for him. The next day, Wednesday the 22nd, they took him thru the process and called us to pick him up.

At that same time, her daughter Aimee was flying in from Dallas to Myrtle Beach to be with Sharon, and we went and picked her up. She will be with her mom while I went back to work today. Aimee will be staying until the end of the month to help Sharon get thru this, she is very, very depressed, and almost suicidal and needs someone with her 24/7.

Attachments

• CLS in sweater3.22.06.jpg
    CLS in sweater3.22.06.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 114
Top Bottom