The family lost a little friend today

C

Craig H.

Ralph, my heart goes out to you and your family during this difficult time.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Ralph, I'm really, really sorry about your loss. Maybe something in all these posts might give some comfort to you and your family. I know it helped me.

S

somerqc

UPDATE

For those of you that remember, our dog has been quite sick for the last 3-4 weeks. The last update noted that 2 tumours were found on his bladder wall through an ultrasound. We received good news yesterday that the tumours are NOT cancerous. The vet seemed shocked as he said only 1 in 10 with this type of tumour come back benign. Ours is one of them.

We are now in the process of finding out the cost of removing the tumours (and if he has recovered from his gall bladder infection). It does sound like after some medical intervention we will have our friend with us for another year or two (he is an older dog <12>)

Thank you from everyone that passed on their sympathies during this time; fortunately, they were a little premature this time.

John

R

ralphsulser

UPDATE

For those of you that remember, our dog has been quite sick for the last 3-4 weeks. The last update noted that 2 tumours were found on his bladder wall through an ultrasound. We received good news yesterday that the tumours are NOT cancerous. The vet seemed shocked as he said only 1 in 10 with this type of tumour come back benign. Ours is one of them.

We are now in the process of finding out the cost of removing the tumours (and if he has recovered from his gall bladder infection). It does sound like after some medical intervention we will have our friend with us for another year or two (he is an older dog <12>)

Thank you from everyone that passed on their sympathies during this time; fortunately, they were a little premature this time.

John

I'm so glad to hear some good news for you.
And thanks to all for your responses.

AndyN

Moved On
Hey Ralph:

I too understand what it's like. I have had four Golden Retrievers and have lost two of them so far. The first dog, 'Misty', was found to have a huge tumor, immediately after returning to the UK and being in quarantine for 6 months (Min of Ag regs). The poor dog was sick when she left here and the vet didn't know what it was! She must have been quite confused as well, not having family around.

She was in quarantine with our other, younger, Golden - 'Priaire'. Once Misty was euthanized, Prairie got sick while still in quarantine - the same symptoms as your dog, Ralph. She was hospitalized, and they even brought in a donor dog for a transfusion - quite rare it seems. Eventually, with family around and on heavy steroid treatment, she bounced back. The vet couldn't confirm, but we suspect she was affected by the loss of her bet friend, Misty.

Prairie passed last year at the age of 14, after having been diagnosed with a large tumour in her gum/mouth. The vet gave her about 6 weeks/6 months - she hung in for over a year!

Sadly, my 'former' wife, who kept the dogs after our divorce, never informed me of the dog's sickness or let me see the poor creature. I'm not likely to see the other two 'Callie' and 'Toffee' either, when they go.

I probably wouldn't have another dog. As much as I love their companionship and unconditional love and friendship, they are too much of a liability with a job that has me on the road....maybe I could rent one for the weekends;)

Attachments

• New Image.JPG
    New Image.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
V

vpickell

So sorry for your loss. There is a new product coming out called "Pet Barrier", it's was invented to prevent your 4 legged family members from running out an open door.

S

somerqc

Another UPDATE

I have had another discussion with our vet and the surgeon regarding the next steps with our loved canine friend. It seems that there is not a very good prognosis for dogs with his condition (bladder tumours) and the location of the tumours.

Basically, even with surgery there is only a 10-20% chance that it will be a simple removal procedure (same seriousness as a spay/neuter surgery) and we get to enjoy another 1-2 years with him.

There is another ~10-20% chance that the dog would not be able to survive the surgery (re: not enough bladder wall to allow him to function).

The remaining 60-80% chance is some level of more complex surgeries (including potential removal of a kidney) that may result in him having to recover for as long as he has left with us.

If we don't do surgery (doesn't look likely that we will), we have the option of putting him on an experimental drug that has shown to reduce bladder tumours and extend life as much as 9 months. Otherwise, the vet said he has 3-6 months of good life left. :(

Sorry to dampen what was a positive update last time, but, the experience of the surgeon and long term prognosis dramatically changed the outlook of our case.

John

smryan

Perspective.
How can I decide to put a face like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeshond

on the other side of the bridge (i.e. waiting for me later...if you know what I mean) :(
John

It is always so hard to know for sure if we are doing the right thing as our furry children can't always tell us how they feel. We had 4 cats. Rosebud had a bad heart - the vet gave her 2-3 years... about 10 years ago. This past December our gray beauty started having a hard time. The decline was rapid - but putting her to sleep was the hardest thing - even though it was the right thing. To keep her alive because we didn't want to say good bye would have been selfish and put her through much pain and trauma. Willie is 17. Old and frail. I can't bear the thought of losing him anytime soon. Please gods let him stay healthy a good while longer. Lewis & Clarke have many years yet. And they are indoor kids - too busy a street to risk.

Time to go home and have a good cry for Rosie... thought those were done, but it seems not.

Top Bottom